“Fantastic BBQ”

The Rustic Smokehouse + Bar
Ranked #16 of 49 Restaurants in Fort Atkinson
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

If you take into account that this is Wisconsin, and not someplace in Texas, the barbecue here is phenomenal (if it happened to be in Texas, I’d still say it would be “quite decent”). The meat is juicy and has a slightly smoked flavor - I had the pulled pork on this occasion, I’ve had the brisket on a previous visit. The cornbread is great, it isn’t dry and gritty like some subpar cornbread can be. I really enjoyed the corn and cheese side.

They provide about four or five different house-made barbecue sauces. My favorite is the South African barbecue sauce, it has a very sweet and unique flavor to it.

Show up early for dinner, as it can get packed quickly.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Newly opened in the area, fun atmosphere. Everything is cooked / smoked on site. The Rustic Mac n Cheese was fantastic - wish I had just ordered that instead of as a side dish. The pulled pork and chicken were dry, but perked up with the house-made sauces. New restaurant and staff - so expect a learning curve.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

The Rustic has a great atmosphere along with a large beer selection and shareable appetizers along with daily chef specials.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Have to say nothing like this place in the area. Had the nachos for appetizer. Delicious. Awesome decor. Very warm and cozy. 20 beers on tap have to try those next time!

Reviewed 23 December 2017

By its name you know it's specialty; smoked meats. However it was Friday; fish fry night. Based on the fish we will definitely come back to try the specialty smoked meats
I had batter-fried bluegill; my wife the steamed cod. We both had the potato pancakes and syrup; excellent. It came with a small cup of better than average coleslaw and marble rye bread. Overall it was excellent, but as a fisherman I think bluegill should be pan-fried. The battered was really very good but the batter covers up the taste of the fish in my mind. I also thought the bread dry. They had to bring us butter.
My grandson loves mac and cheese. Here its called rustic mac and cheese as a meal or side order. Very cheesy; excellent. My grandson loved it; though he did not finish it. Nice sized portion. He had waffle fries also.
As an appetizer we had the fried cheese curds. A bit pricey [$8.00], but worth the price. Not your usual cheese curds. Came in the shape of squares.
The old fashioneds were also very good; reasonably priced. A large menu of draft beers and they list other cocktails as they prepare them.
Very good, fast and friendly service for what appeared to be a busy evening.
I felt it all a bit pricey, but the food was worth it in a nice atmosphere. Maybe a bit noisy when like me background noise deters conversation.
We will come back.