“Off the path, worth the trek.”
Review of The Ranch

The Ranch
Ranked #14 of 86 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Supper Club
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We dropped down on the suggestion of our neighbors, thanks Sam and Shar. Hidden off US77 but good signage and easy to find.

One could call it old and dated, but for a WI supper club I give it props. Great fresh relish tray, pickled fish and assorted crackers. It isn't 'fine city dining' and was exactly what we were expecting, just a lot better. Salad was freshly hand torn, bread was warm but a bit dull in flavor, just nit picking, still tasty.

Rich was excellent in his suggestions and comments about the menu. Prime rib was some of the best I've ever had. I asked for rare-medium rare and I got it, very good. Aus jus was piping hot and not overly salty. Wife had the filet, tender and flavorful, and we shared some broiled shrimp. Shrimp were good, not Gulf fresh great, but good(Rich was spot on here).

Potatoes were fine, I had hashbrowns she had diced....beef overpowered the taters and we were fine with that.

Rich suggested the salted caramel brownie sundae but we opted for Grandma's carrotcake for dessert. We won here with the carrotcake, in fairness we then got the salted caramel brownie for comparison. It was great too, just preferred the carrotcake.

First time there will NOT be our last. Two thumbs up!

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We went to The Ranch last night. I must say the food was good, as it consistently is. However, I realize that this might sound petty, but this restaurant is considered a supper club. By Hayward standards it is considered high end, and I was surprised to be given a paper napkin. With a relatively high priced menu, I think they could splurge for cloth napkins. Again, the food and staff were excellent but these little touches do count.

1  Thank Roselle G
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

The food was outstanding! The reason for the average rating was due to service. It could have been short staffing issues. Our drinks were slow to come out and not refilled. Our server seemed distracted. We were not greeted when we arrived, waited for someone to let us know how long a wait, but ended up having to ask. Again, could have been a busy night with not enough staff. The food was excellent! The walleye scampi was superb!!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Old school supper club atmosphere very welcoming owner and staff. We ate there on Sunday night food was great and our server was even better didn't catch his name.

1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The Ranch was on our list to go to this year and I'm glad we did. The food was wonderful-I had the filet and added the bleu cheese walnut butter which took the steak to another level-so delicious! The salad was very fresh and the potato was very good. Everyone else enjoyed their meal as well. Now for the negative and why I can't give it 5 stars. The server will make or break your dining experience and unfortunately we had the break service. From the get go, she was very hurried and frazzled. She complained about how hot she was and closed the blind after we asked her not to. It was nice to look out at nature but we couldn't. We rarely saw her so we couldn't understand why she felt the need to do that. She also never brought our relish tray-we had brought someone with that had never been to a supper club and it is part of the experience. Every other table received their relish tray other than ours and the other table she was serving. We definitely will go back next year and hope for a better server.

Been to The Ranch? Share your experiences!