“This is a tough one for me!”
Review of The Ranch

The Ranch
Ranked #14 of 86 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Supper Club
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I hate to give a poor review when we had so many things stacked against us but I hope this review can help the establishment and other diners.
First: Our group of 8 people (4 couples) arrived after 8:30 (maybe pretty close to 9pm) on a Friday night. We asked at the bar if we could still get seated and a woman I can only assume is the owner said no problem so we got drinks and waited to be seated. Not too long of a wait very nice staff to start out with.
Second: We can be a little loud at times there are 8 of us...I only say this to give the place the benefit of the doubt. Once we were seated things stopped happening. There were Zero drink refills. Any drink you wanted you had to get up and go to the bar yourself. Not the end of the world but our first round was over $50...and we would have been perfectly content to order like that repeatedly throughout the night. A wasted opportunity for the waitstaff.
Third: The waitress really didn't want to wait on us. She made that clear from the beginning by being a little short with the first person to order when she said they were out of the soup and he said well that really isn't an option then (not in a combative way). She didn't give suggestions when we asked questions. She didn't try to upsell us on anything. She did bring a very nice relish tray and put it on the table...didn't say anything about it but put it there.
Then we had a long wait. Not a big deal to us at all as we expected that and really enjoy each other's company. A long thirsty wait. There wasn't a single time when a drink was refilled. I mean not even a water. Ok. Fine. Our salads came out ok. Mine had the sticker of the tomato still on it. Fine. I moved it to a different plate and was going to say something discreetly to the waitress about it but she actually barked something to the effect "what do you want whats wrong" at my husband--no joke. So we both just said nothing and went on with our meal--seriously I only wanted to say something so it wouldn't happen to someone else. The rest of the food was okay. Some people in the group said it was pretty good. I just wanted to leave at that point.
They were very quick to get us our checks and we left.
I'm sure we were loud and obnoxious in their eyes...but we enjoy dining out and are willing to spend a lot of money to do it...

2  Thank fortjacksonmom

Reviewed 3 December 2017

The Ranch did not impress me. The Prime Rib was so-so, not much flavor, wife said steak she had was tender. Service was outstanding, probably will not go back.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We were in the area and remembered we came here long ago and wanted to experience a nice meal in the familiar area. Well, the staff was very friendly and attentive. Our meals were so, so and some disappointing. The atmosphere was dark and not very inviting. Probably will pass it up on the next trip through..

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

This place was just what I was looking for in a northern Wisconsin supper club. A cozy cabin like atmosphere welcomes you along with friendly staff, and yes there were real cloth napkins on the table.
The relish tray was a nice touch that is not seen very often anymore. The prime rib and steaks were cooked to perfection and seasoned just right. Everything was served at the proper time and reasonably priced. New goto place in Hayward.

1  Thank Russell B
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

We happened on The Ranch when we found that LCO had a an hour wait, and they got our moderate sized party (>2,<8) in right away. We are a group who live in rural WI, access to the nicer restaurants in the Twin Cities but also enjoy a good ol' Rod & Gun Club or American Legion chicken dinner.
For a steakhouse supper club, it has paper napkins, and really quite casual attire. The menus look rough, and our menus were in a strange order (the "other" section came first), and the starters/desserts menu was on what looked like a hand cut and hand laminated small piece of paper. The plates used for the food were small, that while trying to eat you're pushing your food up and over the edge (not necessarily a bad thing since the portion sizes are more than reasonable).
Our server seemed uncomfortable, though she may have been new. When she brought our relish trays, she didn't say anything about them, and our group of ages 18-55 were unfamiliar with this traditional supper club offering. However she was knowledgeable about the specials and menu details as well as alcoholic beverages offered. We got a couple orders of the chicken and rib special (1/4 chicken, 1/2 rack of ribs for 23.95 with relish tray, salad and potato), and then a few other menu items as well as a starter. Though the menu states no fried chicken in Friday, they were slow enough that they allowed us to order it. When our food arrived, one meal had white meat (a breast, wing) and the other was dark meat (a thigh and drumstick). We were surprised because we weren't offered a choice, and we both preferred dark meat. We didn't want to make a big deal of anything so I took the white meat chicken + rib dinner.
The entire experience was salvaged on the food quality--the NY Strip was tender, walleye was served on a cute plate shaped like a fish, the ribs and BBQ sauce were truly tender, and the chicken breast was perfectly moist.
Overall, the food was really good, just not for the price and the same goes with ambiance (when most plates are averaging $25, paper napkins/staff attire/menu display). So very relieved that the food was good to make this a 3 star experience.

Been to The Ranch? Share your experiences!