“Diferente, Sabroso, y económico! ”
Review of Ellie's on Main - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ellie's on Main
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

So we saw the article in the Hudson paper, and thought we'd give it a try! Don't expect anything fancy, if anyone is familiar with Ellie's, it's still a bar and has a bar feel. I had the seafood enchiladas and they are, by far, the best seafood enchiladas I have EVER had, (and I've been to Central and South America on numerous trips and I've never tasted seafood so good!) the guacamole is good too, just don't expect an overpowering taste. I've gone back a couple times, and I've sampled a few other plates, some better than others, but what's good is good! (Aka the churros. Eat those. You won't regret it.) I think they are still working the kinks out of some plates, but it's tasty, affordable, downtown, and offers something new. And for anyone who knows just how outrageously expensive it can be to eat downtown, this is a great choice if you have some cash in your pocket but don't want to break into the piggy bank to feed yourself! So...give it a try:)

Reviewed 22 March 2016

Ok, let me start by stating that Ellie's is a bar and looks like one. I think that all of the beer posters are covering up the holes in the wall. That is really a shame, because the folks who are leasing the kitchen and serving Mexican food are really trying to put out a good product. The food was really good, I had soft shell steak tacos and my wife had a chimechanga. My tacos were really good even though they were a little heavy on the onion, the sauce (served on the side) was excellent. My wife's dinner was also good. Too bad that the atmosphere of a low rent bar (in a high rent area) was such a negative.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

Thought we would try it out as it promised "authentic" Mexican cuisine. We got to the restaurant before 5 pm planning on a "Happy Hour" drink. Jorge the server (owner) dropped off chips and salsa and didn't return for almost 15 minutes - well after 5 pm. The chips (tasted okay) and the salsa (both were promised to be homemade) was okay but had little flavor. We had to go find menus from another table. Our beers were served in glass glasses but an $8.00 margarita (my friend requested extra salt on the rim) was served her margarita in an 8 ounce plastic glass with absolutely no salt at all on the rim. Where is the glass glasses for that? We also requested a glass of water for each member of the table. All plastic glasses had either a bug in it or specks of dirt or both. Jorge said they had been cleaning the ice machine - well they evidently didn't clean it well enough as evidenced by the dirt in the glasses. We order chicken and steak fajitas (although they were prepared okay - there was little to no taste to the chicken or the steak - no spices were visible on the meat). The accompanying guacamole that was touted as homemade in the paper had little to no flavor and the avocados seemed to be not very ripe. We couldn't see visible cilantro, onions or taste any garlic or lime in the guacamole either. My husband ordered a steak burrito but found it was filled with 90% onions - definitely way way too many for my husband. He ate about 4 bites and picked out the steak - he also said the steak was not very flavorful. My son enjoyed his steak tacos (he likes bland meat) but also picked off most of the onions. My daughter ordered the carne asada and said the small piece of steak (also no flavor) arrived lukewarm - it was the last item delivered but must have been sitting there awhile. We were quite disappointed with our food items and the cleanliness of the glasses and the tables. We were seated next to the door going to the outdoor patio - every time the door opened, we were treated with a strong wafting of cigarette or cigar smoke as well as a blast of cold air. A lot needs to be improved before we will ever go back.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Had lunch at Ellie's this past weekend with my sister...for my birthday. Food was wonderful (the guacamole is amazing). I had the steak burrito and my sister had the chicken fajitas. Great service and excellent price!

Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

The bar has a New Mexican restaurant inside. Good food. Drinks are stiff and staff is awesome. We will definitely be back for the food and drinks again. Weekends are pretty busy. It's better to go during the week. They also have a great patio out back