“OK, now I 'Get It'”

Wenzel's Perfect World
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Since my first visits to WPW, I discovered the Happy Schnapps Combo (happyschnappscombo.net) and I understand that Rich's bar is likely something of a "Holy Place" for fans of the HSC. I must confess that after discovering the band, their music, and the song titled "Wenzel's Perfect World" I view this bar differently--if only as the physical embodiment of the "Pure Goodness in a World of Crap" philosophy of the HSC.

And, in fairness, once I understood the connection of WPW to the Happy Schnapps Combo, I felt compelled to visit again to see if I had been too harsh. My latest visit was on a Friday afternoon and the place was just medium busy. I bellied-up to the bar next to another patron that I learned was in his 80's. He was a great guy with lots of stories from the old days. He also totally cracked me up talking about how he walks around Fleet Farm a few times just meeting and hanging-out with his buddies before he even looks for what brought him there. This is right out of the "Raise It" album song "Fleet Farm" and I seriously doubt that he understood the association....;-)

Fun old guys aside, they had some very good bar snacks (Doritos, pretzels, etc.,) and a couple of good IPAs in bottles too!

OK, bottom line, I have a better understanding of Wenzel's Perfect World. And if I'm going to be fair, it's at least average. If you factor-in a lot of appreciation for the Happy Schnapps Combo, it's probably four stars. I do know that I will visit again and (who knows) maybe I'll even become a bigger fan over time.

Reviewed 7 April 2016

I stopped in while traveling, because the local hotel had directed me there. What a huge mistake.
There were two bartenders, the man, who eventually found out was the owner, and a younger girl. Both were visibly intoxicated.
It took a while to get served as they were both busy drinking shots and not really paying attention. The owner finally served me, and added in a horrible racially motivated joke. And he thought he was being funny but anyone in earshot was offended.
Fortunately a short time later he went to the other side of the bar where he promptly fell asleep, passed out . Only to wake up 20 minutes later, sneak out the back door and get behind the wheel and drive a vehicle.
As if that wasn't enough, the bathrooms were horrible, unbearable urine smell.
The place seriously could not have been cleaned in a month.
That was enough for me, we promptly left only to find the female bartender was outback smoking a joint.
Why would any hotel suggest that place to travelers???
Best bet, stay away!

Reviewed 1 January 2016

I've stopped into this place twice now. The first time (months ago) it was mostly empty while yesterday it was PACKED (with every spot at the bar taken). Away from the bar are also a number of picnic tables (yeah, really,) and video / table games. Add in flat screens for sporting events and a Green & Gold Packer color scheme / theme and that's about all it has to offer.

The one beer I had was cheap and I have to say that everyone in the place seemed friendly enough too. But the place does have a rather run-down crude feel to it (at least to my senses). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "dirty" or anything like that. Just like a car with a couple of hundred thousand miles of wear and tear (well used).

Aside from the location, I don't know what the attraction is for this place. I'm rating it Poor because it's a step down from other local places (below Average) but it isn't a terrible place (like I said, not dirty or dangerous feeling or anything like that).

4  Thank GoneOffTheGrid