“Fresh and flavorful”
Review of On the Way Cafe

On the Way Cafe
Ranked #35 of 75 Restaurants in Mequon
Description: On the Way Cafe (OTWC) is located in the heart of Mequon, Wisconsin. We provide food that is made with the freshest and cleanest ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible; lovingly prepared and served with a smile. Enjoy freshly prepared pressed juices, smoothies, sandwiches, breakfast options, soups and sweets that are perfect for those grab-and-go moments.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ordered a couple of the bowl meals for take out. The cajun salmon was delicious. Good portion of salmon was atop a mixture of quinoa and seared broccoli and fresh spinach. Spicy aioli brought it all together.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Tried the new On The Way Cafe for lunch the other day with a colleague after hearing decent reviews. We dine out of lunch often, so we were hoping for a great little secret in the area.

First off, the menu when you walk in is very hard to read. You have to take 3 steps back just to see the available options (not a big deal). When we decided what we were going to eat, we proceeded to the counter and were met by a tattooed young gentleman whom seemed to have little to no interest in being there. He asked what we wanted; we asked a few questions and then asked for payment. After swiping the card, he proceeded to flip the screen to us where we were supposed to put a tip in. Note, there are only a few selections (25%, 20%, 15%, 10% and Other), and not having tried the place before I thought a bit presumptuous to ask for a tip prior to the food and service experience. We opted for the "other" and left a $3.00 (~10%) tip knowing we had cash in my pocket if the service warranted a tip beyond that.

We sat at a table, waited for a few minutes and eventually heard our name screamed by the gentleman at the counter (note, we are 2 feet away from him). OK, we get up - go to the service counter and are given our food (note, there are 5 people in the place, why he couldn't walk the food over to us and "serve" us for that tip he is hoping for is beyond me). We take our food to the table and my colleague says "man, I hope that we stop at another place, this is not gonna fill me up" (he ordered the TBLT with a VERY small side of potato salad). I agreed with him that it looked VERY tiny for what it cost, and offered him some of my Reuben (which wasn’t much bigger) to help fill him up. My Reuben was decent, potato salad was bland and my colleague didn't enjoy his TBLT at all - he felt it was dry, small and kinda bland too. Not to mention we spent over $30 on two sandwiches and 1 Blue Moon smoothie (which was excellent).

After finishing our lunch in record time, we looked around and noticed that we as customers are also responsible to put away our dishes and clean up our space. OK, reminds me of Wendy's... But leads me to wonder why there is an expectation of a tip prior to the meal, as there was NO service provided other than the preparation of the food, and no, I didn’t leave an additional tip.

In the end, I don't think that we are going to return to this place anytime soon. Decor was nice, I like the organic swing (which is often explained by the ownership as a reason for their exceptionally high prices) - but we just felt out of place here as it seems to be a place that caters to a very specific group of people. I would recommend that the ownership get rid of the initial tip expectation, have their FOH staff offer a little more on the service aspect of this business (get out from behind the counter, talk with customers, check on them, etc.) and I think it's a concept that would do well in the area, as this IS Mequon. Maybe put tip jars on the tables for customers to leave a tip AFTER their experience if they intend to keep the sequence of service they have put in place. I will wait to see if other reviews mention changes that are positive before going back, but we just felt that it was not a place that we felt valued at. Kind of clicky…

1  Thank dailywaves
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Are you going to be in Milwaukee for a family outing or business trip ? A trip up I-43 to On The Way Cafe in Mequon is worth your while as it is a nutritious, delicious and affordable place for breakfast, brunch or lunch. A large menu is sure to meet the needs of families large & small. With locally grown ingredients, they offer a new take on salad, sandwiches, burgers, wraps and dessert.

1  Thank Jeanine S
Reviewed 18 April 2017

My wife and I had lunch here today. To be fair, supposed health food, salad kinds of places like this are neither my wife's nor my kind of restaurant.

We had a bacon cheeseburger with a side of potato salad and a Reuben with a side of slaw.

The burger was very good; however, $19 for a bacon cheeseburger is just far too expensive. They can try to justify it by saying it is grass-fed beef; however, that is just too much. Moreover, it was tiny - closer ot a slider than a burger.

The potato salad was good, but a bit dry. Also, before ordering, we specifically asked if it had eggs in it and were told that, other than the mayo was made with eggs, there were no eggs. There were eggs.

The Reuben was okay. Excellent bread, but the meat was thin cut and not particularly tasty.

The slaw was tasteless.

I wanted to order a soda, All they had were some specialty brand stuff. I bought one. it was oaky, but I would have rather had a Diet Coke.

The foregoing meal cost $36. I am not cheap. I am fine with going to the most expensive restaurants; however, whether I spend $20 or $150 per person, I still expect value. This was very expensive for a simple lunch place.

The place is cute, although it has no view.. The painting on the wall is extraordinary. The staff was nice, although it is counter service

I wish the owners luck. Maybe there is a market for an expensive sandwich shop. However, unless someone else asks, we likely will not be going there again.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I am very excited about a new restaurant and catering company that has recently opened in my town. On The Way Cafe (or OTWC for short) is located off of Mequon Road and Green Bay Road (Hwy 57) in Mequon and is conveniently located near the heart of Mequon / Thiensville. Open for breakfast and lunch, this cafe serves flavorful breakfast items and delicious salad and sandwiches all made with local produce and many gluten-free items. A spacious seating area and quick, friendly service make this my new favorite for a get-together with friends or a leisurely Sunday brunch.