All reviewsgreat roomplace to staypaddle boatssmall townbar restaurant on sitebaked codburgerattached barroom was largefallloonwolfsdengamesgrilldockfurniture
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Motel has a great location and view along the lake, but found the room just so-so. Room itself is very large, but a bit dingy. We were missing some towels and had to get a light bulb for one of the lamps -- which was very needed as room was a bit dark even with every light on. Bathroom area quite small and shower head very low (shoulder level). Breakfast room nice and spacious overlooking the lake, but nothing special and nothing sweet. Glad we didn't want to watch TV -- the 19 inch, 30 year old TV would have been dissapointing.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
TimberlineInn, Manager at The Great Northern Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2016

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. We have been updating rooms and half of the hotel has improved tvs, showers, and decor. We hope that you will stay with us again and be able to enjoy some of our changes.

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

It's a very nice motel
Great place to launch from for atv/snowmobile
The rooms are huge beds are very comfortable
The only problem was our door we had a hard time unlocking and it was hard to reach the front desk at times for fresh towels and shampoo
But otherwise nice place to stay.
I'll for sure go back

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Great Northern and the staff made us feel at home. Sitting on a picturesque lake we woke to loon calls and even fished while staying here. It's friendly, responsibly priced, and central to over 22,000 acres of fish able waters. I can't wait to bring my family back to visit.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2016

Had planned to snowmobile to the Great Northern from Rhinelander, but Mother Nature chose not to cooperate. Took the vehicles instead, as we already had the plans to go. This is the second time I've stayed and there have been changes since the first. The most notable was the great room redecorating - gone are all the big game head mounts that graced the walls on our first visit. And the new sofas, while nice, are too sleek for a north woods of Wisconsin motel on the recreation trail/lake. A more lodge-like look would be nicer. (Personal opinion only - the room is very nice with its view of the trail and lake.)

Our room was nice - spacious and clean and provided plenty of space for 9 of us to have a happy hour in one room. We faced the trail/lake and being snowmobilers ourselves, the noise from the trail and those parking their sleds did not bother us a bit. It was fun watching people come in and seeing all the different sleds. The one complaint about our room would have to be the shower head - it was WAY too low, even for a 5'6" person! The wifi worked very well and is always appreciated.

Spent time in the Wolf's Den and didn't have any issues other reviewers talked about with rude staff or drunks. We were a group of 9 and if anything, WE were probably the loudest people in there. Having had a late lunch, we didn't order dinners, but did have a couple pizzas which were very good.

The hotel was fully booked on the night we stayed (Saturday, March 5) and despite that, there was very little noise in the hallways. The continental breakfast included English muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, juice, coffee. The Bloody Mary's in the Wolf's Den were very good.

Room Tip: Not a snowmobiler? Might not be the place for you in the winter. A LOT of snowmobilers at the hotel/passing by, which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2016

Went ice fishing for the day, reserved a room on line for one night. The bed and pillows I thought were great, but that's about it. The room smelled of old cigarettes, the carpet was dirty and probably beyond cleaning. Microwave did not work. Expected HBO, but didn't have that either. Because we had been up early we wanted to go to bed early. They were working on a room close to us. We had pounding and loud talking until almost 7 pm. Trying to use the fan only on the air conditioning for white noise, but that also didn't work. Went to get a drink of water and the water was the color of beer. I'm assuming it was because of the work being done. When the web site said it was on a snowmobile trail I didn't expect snowmobile revving their engines within five feet of our window. I'm not real tall but the shower hit me almost at my navel. When using the toilet I thought I was sitting on the floor. We could see this motel was make improvement but we surely did not see this in our room. I would book another night but I would call to make sure I got on the second floor and only had a lake view in the summer. No more winter stays!!

Room Tip: If winter, I would take a road view because the snowmobile trail. In the summer I would take a second floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple