“overpriced substandard food”
Review of Tom's Red Pepper - CLOSED

Tom's Red Pepper
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 24 March 2016

I wanted to try a new Chinese place and stopped here because of its location. I looked at the menu and asked several questions but the woman behind the counter was not helpful. I felt pressure to just pick something even though they were not busy. I ordered my usual order from another place and it rang up as twice as much. I eliminated a few items and it was a good amount of food but the egg rolls were inedible and lo mein not cooked thoroughly.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

A few weeks ago, I ordered from another nearby restaurant because I had a coupon. Immediately after the food arrived, I regretted that I had not ordered from Tom's Red Pepper. The quality of the food, at Red Pepper is exceptional. The portions are reasonably sized, there is plenty of meat in the entrées, and the flavor is
delicious. On this particular evening, I was hoping to have the food delivered. They were not offering delivery tonight because the driver was on vacation, but I knew that I would regret not having dinner from this restaurant. So I braved weather and picked up our meal. Tom, the owner greeted me and graciously thanked me for coming to get the food. We ordered crab rangoons, sweet and sour chicken, moo shu chicken, and almond cookies. The food came with white and brown rice. It was well worth the short drive. My only regret is that I didn't ask for extra plum sauce!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I've been eating here monthly for years and have always been warmly greeted by Tom or his wife, who quickly prepare food for carry-out. (There are only two tables in this small restaurant, so there's not much dining atmosphere.) The food is tasty, the portions are generous, and the prices are reasonable. Here's hoping that the Red Pepper remains open for business for years to come.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

For fans of Chinese food in Middleton, the go-to place is Imperial Garden. Feeling a little adventurous, I've been seeking out a new place for Chinese. I stopped by Tom's Red Pepper on a Friday night at dinner time for take-out. They weren't busy at all but the place seemed alright, so I asked the woman at the counter what some popular chicken dishes were. She said it depended on what I liked. I said I liked delicious and flavorful. She pretty much seemed bothered with my questions and read to me all the chicken items in order off the menu. I chose Garlic Chicken because she said it had lots of vegetables in it. I also ordered an egg roll which she said was the thin, crispy wrapper type. Upon arriving home, I opened up the egg roll, which I immediately thought had gotten wet because it appeared so. It was actually just the grease-soaked sheen from being cooked badly. Inside was not much more than soggy cabbage. Probably the least impressive egg roll I've ever had. You can find better in any food court. On to the Garlic Chicken. The "lots of vegetables" in this dish was a flavorless melange of mostly celery, a few carrots, some green pepper pieces, onions, and some water chestnuts. The sauce was not delicious at all. I love garlic, but I didn't really detect garlic flavor. The dish reminded me of something you might get in a school lunchroom on Chinese day. Or perhaps something you'd have a hospital cafeteria. Really substandard for a restaurant. I can say these things with a clear conscience because I really gave the owner a chance to recommend something, and she could have steered me towards something good. She and the chef failed. Not recommended.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I love the Red pepper! Their food is excellent and they are super friendly, They know me and she asks me if I want the usual too funny! I highly recommend the hunan beef.