“Disappointed”

Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights, I was quite excited as he had told me its the best hotel in Milwaukee (perhaps this is what all boyfriends say). The room was certainly comfortable, not decorated to my taste but enough space, I didn't like the smell of the amenities (soap/shower gel/shampoo & conditioner all the same flavor - ginger) but again that's just my taste. One the first night we had a few too many in the local area and a night cap in the hotel bar, service was great although to me it felt like a (nice) airport waiting lounge. The next day we decided to order room service breakfast which was really good, and then we put the privacy sign up and snoozed some more. We awoke to see that housekeeping had come by and slipped a note under the door saying if we needed the room to be serviced we could call front desk before 4pm. I called the front desk to request this at 1pm and then headed out for a very cold walk. When we got back we were sad to see the room had not been touched, and our tray from breakfast was still there. It was 4pm now, so I called them again and was told someone would come up. We left 30mins later and did not return until gone midnight. Upon our return we were amazed to see that our room had still not been touched. This time when I called I think I got a manager, he explained that it must have been a shift change, why that's important for me to know I don't know! He immediately bought up fresh towels and two complimentary breakfasts for us.

The gesture for a complimentary breakfast was a nice touch. But I think they were very lucky that myself and my boyfriend are very easy going and although it was frustrating it wasn't the end of the world. Had that been my father they were treating that way I think there would have been more of a scene.

The breakfast in the morning was so so. My coffee mug was dirty, the food was ok, nothing special. I have to say the service was great though. Friendly, chirpy and helpful.

We had a problem at check out, my boyfriend happily paid and then when he looked a the bill afterwards he realized that there were some bar tabs on our bill that could not have been ours. They found the receipts and none of them were signed by him. They couldn't refund then and there but said they would in the next day or two. I am not sure whether they have yet. I know mistakes happen but putting tabs on wrong rooms is something I hope they don't do often.

Overall I wouldn't say this hotel is a 4*, it has a lot of tightening up to do first. Its the small things, and making sure each room is cleaned or serviced each day, that really make the difference.

I wouldn't go back.

2 Thank HJ2708

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Not a bad hotel - but generic. Very nice, comfortable beds (probably the best quality of the hotel). Bathrooms/showers are fine - good water pressure.

I realize there is nothing the hotel can obviously do about this - but the windows are these funny little slivers in the room (apparently floor to ceiling wasn't attractive when this was built).

Anyway - I stayed two nights this time and they never made up/cleaned my room. I called when I got back in the evening to have them bring up clean towels at least, but the front desk clerk made it sound like it was a normal thing. His response was "oh they must've just forgot". A little apology goes a long way.

It's not the end of the world - but the only reason this hotel is 4 stars is because they "have all the amenities required of a 4 star". Service is sub-par, and has not necessarily been abhorrent, but each time I stay there the staff is fairly cool - and not welcoming like you might see elsewhere. I'd never pick this hotel intentionally again, unless I just needed a place to lay my head for the night at a reasonable price for the space.

Room Tip: Choose a north or east facing for a nice view of the city - higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

My fiance and I stayed here for one night on a Saturday. We self parked in the garage attached to the hotel for $20 overnight. We used Hotels dot com to book the room. Check in was a breeze and we had a room on the 15th floor. We were not fans of the atrium design of the hotel.

Immediately upon entering the room we noticed that everything looked decently updated. Nice tv, nice looking linens and furniture. The bathroom was tiny, but they offered nice bath products.

The view was ok and the windows were very dirty.

While in the the room on Saturday night at 6pm, we could hear the people in the room next to us. Turns out they had their door open and that may have contributed to the sound. But we heard every word and worried that they might be loud at night.

Upon arriving back to our room at 2am, it was quiet. We slept well and felt the beds were comfortable.

Check out was a breeze.

We didn't have time to walk anywhere, but catching a cab was easy. I'd consider staying here again if the price was right.

Newman Lake, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Recently did a Priceline for a 4 star hotel in downtown Milwaukee. This place was one of three that is 4 star in downtown. We usually stay at a competitor that is 2.5-3 stars, and that place was equal if not better in many facets.

The room we got for our 50% off was ok, nice sized room. View was of the worst window scum on an exterior window I have ever seen, barely could see anything out the window. The bed was average comfort, but their were no fitted sheets on the bed and in the middle of the night both arms and legs were touching bare mattress... that is only described as disgusting!!!

The hotel charges for internet, ok for major names, but c'mon even the cheaper hotels give it away for free these days and Hyatt is not what I consider to be major in the US.

The bathroom was super tiny, but was clean and everything you needed.

The hotel itself is a good location, the interior is contemporary/modern first floor lobby with restaurant and bar. The bar service was border line garbage, but there were a bunch of Chicago Bulls fans in town, so they were probably annoying the staff. The hotel rooms on floor 3-16 or whatever, white.... that is all I can say.... just white... you'll see...

Overall I am glad I paid 50% below the rack rate, I would have been giving this a 1 star if so. But you get what you pay for and in this case I would rate this hotel a 2.5-3 and not return...

2 Thank dsl82899
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

The staff is great. We have worked almost full work days in the lobby, having breakfast and lunch. Maria, who is usually there in the mornings, is great. She is really nice and has gone out of her way to make sure we had enough coffee and get exactly what we wanted for breakfast - and we aren't that demanding :) The entire staff is friendly and extremely helpful. It's like staying at someone's home where they want to be a good host.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business