“Elegant Hotel in the Heart of the City”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Paris, France
“Elegant Hotel in the Heart of the City”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had a great time at the Hilton. There is an excellent bar street level. Don't be deceived by the name and generic sportsbar appearance of the place. They have an excellent selection of local microbrews on tap and in bottles and the food is better than you expect.

My room was modern and spacious and they even gave me free wifi for the 2 nights I was there when I grimaced at the idea of paying 9.99 a night for access.

Staff are friendly, breakfast was average. Location is great, right downtown.

Overall I really enjoyed my trip to Milwaukee and I found the people to be very friendly and fun and the city to have a good vibe. Be sure to take the LakeFront Brewery tour while you are in town. Note, taxis are more than you would expect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear JMfromTO -

Thank you very much for choosing to be our guest and for your glowing review of the Miller Time Pub and Grill! As you mentioned a great menu and selection of local beers can be found in our lower lobby!

We are looking forward to your next visit!

414.390.8390

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Room was nice, comfortable beds and clean. We stayed in a 2 doublebed and had plenty of room. The "water park" is excellent for our kids aged 4-7, might not be enough for kids over 12. The decor is aging yet still has charm.

We asked for extra towels and pillows at check in, then called later that night for the same thing and never got them. Ever.

The hallways were loud most of the night with a lot of people who were not staying at the hotel. There also are no family oriented restaurants on the property unless you eat at the water park, which didn't appeal to us. Paying for breakfast is also to be expected, we choose the Starbucks inside the property instead of $10 eggs.

Overall the location and water park are the selling points, the service and lack of family amenities stick out as main reasons to go elsewhere for your mini vacation.

Room Tip: If you are going for the water park, choose the water park room special otherwise tickets to the wat...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Safetguru -

Thank you very much for the detailed review and for choosing the Hilton Milwaukee. I am very sorry to hear of the issues you faced with requesting additional items. Your experience is not typical and I will be looking into the breakdown in your request.

I am glad your found our on property Starbucks (which is franchised by the Hilton Milwaukee) and were able to ensure a quick breakfast as our Cafe didn't suit your needs! We were very excited to recently begin offering breakfast sandwiches in our Starbucks to expand our breakfast offerings!

We are looking forward to your next visit!

Western Springs, Illinois
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I took my family of 6, children ages 9,7,5,5. for an overnight stay for a WWE event (my boys are crazy about wrestling for some unknown reason, LOL). I had read very mixed reviews on this hotel so I was a bit wary.

However, our stay was very nice and I have nothing but good things to say about the facility itself and the staff. The hotel has a grand old fashioned lobby which is very nice and the kids liked it. The rooms were well done and clean. The rate was very competitive for a full service hotel. Comfortable beds.

There is a small waterpark there taylored to younger children and it was a great way to pass some time. Is an additional charge so be aware. There is a nice cafe for pizza / dogs in the water park to for a quick bite.

We ordered room service and they were prompt, friendly, and made a couple of menu exceptions/alterations for my girls from the kids menu. Given how everything is centered around families, places have to be kid friendly and they were. That is important to me since I have 4 children ages 9 and younger. Nate from room service was pleasant.

They also have a great breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant which is priced reasonably and there is plenty of space to maneuver. Also kid friendly. Our server was very helpful and nice as well. Cant remember her name.

I have only 2 mild criticisms: Parking was pricey but I live in Chicago so I am used to paying too much for everything. Also, the water pressure was really low. That is the only reason I did not give a full 5 stars. I know this is hard to control because it is an older building. I recently stayed at the Public in Chicago and it was the same problem. I guess older buildings just cant squeeze out much pressure due to the structure / plumbing.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and would definitely go back with my family. I have to hand it to the cheeseheads- you are all very nice.

Room Tip: Not much to look at in Milwaukee so it does not really matter what side you face.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mpign
Dear Mpign -

Thank you very much for being our guest and for the fantastic review you shared with the Tripadvisor.com community! Next time you visit please request a east view on the 19th floor or above for a breathtaking view of the city skyline and Lake Michigan.

I look forward to your return for another WWE event, weekend in Paradise Landing or to take in all the sights and happenings of Milwaukee!

We are looking forward to your next arrival!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I just stayed at this hotel and had a great experience. My boyfriend and I were there for 2 nights, a Sat and a Sun. Saturday night there seemed to be a lot going on in the hotel, but we were on the 22nd floor and didn't hear any of the festivities. At some point in the night, be were awoken by people in the hallway, but they didn't last long. Besides that, very quiet.
The hotel itself is beautiful! It is a building that still has that turn of the century, the 20th century that is, look. Very ornate ceilings and decor and very elegant. The rooms were the same. The bed was heavenly. We slept 13 hours the first night. Granted we were exhausted from traveling, but still 13 hours in a hotel is amazing. The room was clean and so was the bathroom. We had a nice view from our room. I wasn't very happy with the curtains, they didn't provide very good total coverage so a lot of light got in.
Staff was great. I booked through a 3rd party website for 3 nights, but our flight was canceled and we didn't make it until the next day. They took care of changing the reservation without a hassle.
The location is wonderful, 3 blocks from the Amtrak, 1 block from the bus to the airport and right in downtown.
We also ordered room service breakfast which arrive right on time and was tasty and plentiful for the price. The only negative, besides the curtains was that when I called to request more coffee for the room, since we skipped housekeeping, I was told some would be brought to us. It didn't arrive, but I helped myself to the maid cart in the hall and all was good.
There is, however, a Starbucks in the lower lobby.
Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, east facing room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Stephola18 -

Thank you very much for the review and for highlighting our hotel as your choice for a romantic weekend in Milwaukee! I hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon!

We are looking forward to your next arrival!

Fox River Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I've just completed a second stay at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. It's an historic building with a bit of character. They provide the expected Hilton amenities and courtesies. I like that it's convenient to the convention center, as well as to museums (we walked to the Milwaukee Public Museum, the Public Market, and restaurants). Parking is a bit pricey but includes in/out privileges, and it is a downtown hotel (so they are always pricey). Buffet breakfast has wide variety and is very good; it's priced like one would expect in a downtown Hilton (so not cheap). The room where I stayed the first time showed evidence of updates; my room on this visit seemed a bit "tired" and in need of updating, but bed was comfortable and amenties were fine. There is a water park within the hotel (kind of surprising to me for a Hilton), so that's nice if you're a family with kids. As a couple, we like to go for a swim and sit in the hot tub, but that's not possible without paying for water park admission, so that was a negative.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear TeacherProf -

Thank you for choosing to send an evening with us! Our hot tub inside Paradise Landing is complimentary to hotel guests, please accept my apologies that we did not offer this option!

We are looking forward to your next weekend in Milwaukee!