“Terrible Customer Service”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2018

I tried the Ethiopian Cottage and loved them so I thought I'd take my friend to Alem since I bought a Groupon. The waitress took the Groupon and asked if we were doing the lunch buffet. We were. We started putting stuff on our plates when she told us we could not use the Groupon with the lunch buffet. I said why not, there was nothing on it (not even the fine print) that said anything different. Nothing about no specials or no holidays, no nothing. She points to the "Save a tree" part on the upper right of the printed Groupon and says it's for trays only. Apparently something was lost in translation. It said $20 for two. It didn't specify anything at all or not include things. So I'm upset because we really wanted the lunch buffet. She had the owner perhaps come up and repeat it. I said well then we will do the menu I guess. The owner took our plates, threw the food away off of them so that we could order from the menu. If I had not paid for the Groupon, I'd have left and gone to Ethiopian Cottage, where BTW they also have a Groupon and it states clearly what it is and isn't for. Why would you throw the food off the plates and waste it but not just let us get the buffet with the Groupon and say like what most place say "I'll do it this time but next time it's only good for the menu items". So we ordered off the menu and while the food was good, the service sucked. Oh and then she tried telling me my Groupon had to be on my phone. I am not giving you my phone, a printed copy is fine.I'm sorry but if a customer is presenting something that has no stipulations, you can't start making them up. When you can SHOW ME on the Groupon where it says "no buffet, trays ONLY", then I'll happily oblige. When the restaurant is clearly in the wrong and does nothing to right the wrong, that's when bad reviews get posted and you lose customers. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank love4connor

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Arriving nearly an hour before their dinner opening, we spent the time in a nearby coffee shop. It was well worth the wait. It was out first time in an Ethiopian restaurant and found the food to be delightful and the staff anxious to please us and guide us. We have made plans to return.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Solid selection of regular Ethiopian food. Injera is well made and the vegetarian red lentils were my favorite. Service is excellent. I will return.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I've eaten at a lot of Ethiopian restaurants across the USA, since it is my favorite cuisine. Alem is among my favorites, rivaling those in larger cities such as Washington DC and New York.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we make time to stop here for a meal, whether it be lunch or dinner. It's definitely not something I can get at home! Injera bread with your choice of an array of special Ethiopian "stews"...all is eaten with your fingers. If you like spicy food, ask about the spicy sauce - they are delighted to bring you out a cupful to have with your food. I really like the staff at this place...so pleased to see you whenever you show up!