“Bad experience”

Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 10 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2015

We had reservations for afternoon tea. When my friend called on Monday for a reservation for four for Sunday, she was told that they didn't have a reservation for four on Sunday, but they had a reservation for four on Saturday. When we arrived together today, the owner scowled and asked why we were there. We responded that we were there for afternoon tea. She said that they only had us for a reservation for two. We offered to leave and make a new reservation, but she insisted that she would charge my friend's credit card for two ($35 each) if we left. She consulted with her husband who could not remember the reservation he took for us this Monday. As their food was catered, her solution was that we share the food for two and pay an extra $20 for the two only having tea and the tour. We thought that if we stayed the tour and tea should be gratis as the reservation glitch was their mistake. We felt obliged to stay because my friend was going to be charged if we left. I muttered something about writing a bad review on Yelp and the hostess became very angry. She said that my friend's credit card would not be charged, but we needed to leave. I left. On the way out, she actually pushed my husband and the other couple we were with. We went out for lunch elsewhere.

Room Tip: Our experience was with afternoon tea, not the Hotel, but if the same hostess is in charge, I wouldn...
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mary G
schusterbnb, Owner at Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2015

The woman who wrote the review, basically has the story almost correct. With the unfortunate mishap of the reservation count of 2 or 4, depending who you are talking to, we offered the 2 extra people to stay for $20.00, and to share the food. The charge should have been $35.00 per person,(our regular price) Shortly into our conversation, she threatened us with, "this is SO UNJUST this should be free, I am going to slam and destroy you on Yelp" This took us by surprise. As we continued trying to work with her, she continued to threaten us. We then realized that no matter what we would do or say, she would not be happy. So we were firm and asked them all to leave. The other guests attending the tea were relieved, because no one wanted them at their table. A sad situation. They missed out on a wonderful afternoon of, history, story telling, food tea and tour.

Reviewed 17 October 2015

As in the other reviews, i'll second that its in a sketchy neighborhood however, I will add though, it is very near the college and even while out walking, I never felt unsafe. Parking was lit, and door had a key pad entry. We did get wine, cookies and a tour, and it was FABULOUS! Laura Sue has certainly done her homework. She talked as we toured for nearly 40 min about the previous owners and the work that had been done the restoration that was to come. My hubby and I are sort of into that kind of pin point history so it was very insightful and virtually made our day. We stayed in Laura Sue's Suite and had a lovely sitting room and sun porch that faced the old garage. We looked out close to dusk and saw a furry little raccoon sunning himself atop the chimney of the garage. (you guys definitely have to name him) The suite was decorated perfectly, and it was quiet... (for milwaukee) we did keep a window open.... We will absolutely be back! Oh, and breakfast was a huge success! very tasty, and large portions.

Room Tip: Pick what you like, you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2015 via mobile

I wish I could upload a picture of the construction zone that supposedly was a three star B and B. the neighborhood is not sketchy it is just plain unsafe and the building has seen better days. The yard was full of furniture and scaffolding enveloped the building on both sides.

Stayed: August 2015
7  Thank Mjcalvey
Reviewed 25 August 2015

I've stayed with Laura Sue and Rick, and gracious hosts of Schuster Mansion, at least a dozen times over the years; often while I'm on Milwaukee for business, but for a get-away as well. I am consistently charmed by their Victorian manners as I am by the authentic Victorian surroundings. The breakfasts are delicious and served on period china. The beds are more comfortable than my own and each room is tastefully, authentically appointed in the Victorian style. I recommend anyone who desires to have a romantic/relaxing time to make Schuster Mansion your first choice.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnStLouisMO
Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

Our initial impression was very unwelcoming. We came in the back door as we parked in back (where we should have). Laura Sue was very condescending as we checked in and was very snappy when we tried to ask some questions before she finished 'checking us in'. First impressions are important and ours was not a very good one.

Word of advice, book directly through them and not a 3rd party. Even though we paid the amount of their top package, we did not receive a tour of the house, bottle of wine, and popcorn.

Pros- Pias room was lovely. It was much bigger than I expected and had a separate sitting area. Very clean and comfortable and plenty of towels in the bathroom.
The home is lovely and they have taken great care to decorate it with many unique items. It is a work in progress, they are working on the exterior but fortunately no hammering while we were there.
They have added some nice practical touches to your stay. The plastic cups and blow dryer in the bathroom were appreciated.
Coffee and delicious cookies available at all times.
Parking is off street behind the house.

Cons-not in a nice area. I was a bit uncomfortable coming in late at night and driving through the area.

You have a choice of one of 3 items with a side. Large portions but not our preference on items and taste. A bit too 'sweet' for us. This is a matter of preference as the other patrons raved over the breakfasts.

Fortunately our last day we had a pleasant talk with Dave and then also Laura Sue. If the house was in a nicer area, we may have given it another chance as I can understand having a bad day and giving a bad impression but I think we will try and stay downtown next time.

If you want a beautiful and clean room, stay here...but you will need to drive everywhere you want to go. Check the prices and find out exactly what you want before you book.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple