US$170
US$280
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
US$280
All reviewslaura sue and rickprairie skyclotted creamlabor of loveshared bathroomgracious hostsmiller parkbreakfast was amazingsitting roomchocolate chip cookiesoff street parkingtwo night staystep back in timethird floormarquette universitybaseball gamevictorian
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Everything about this Bed & Breakfast is Exceptional. The owners Rick and Laura Sue, were amazing people.. Kind and friendly and dressed the part as well. Such a beautiful home.. Decorated to the hilt.. So much to look at. Our breakfast was excellent and amazing.. You read a lot of reviews about the neighborhood.. We never felt "unsafe". they have security cameras all over and a security guard sat in a car across the street as well. Parking in the back of the house not on the main street, which also was very safe. Can not wait to go back.. The location is very close to Miller Park and to downtown if you are going to a play or show. Rick and Laura Sue made us feel like family, everything about our stay was excellent. Loved it!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2017

We booked this home base on a 9.3 booking rating. When we arrived at the location I was shocked. It was in a very low rent poorly kept area. I was afraid of leaving our car and bikes there. The home was beautiful and the hosts were very nice. Prior to our arrival I got an emai advising me of a two night charge that was applied. We were only staying one night and booking told us it would not be charged until we arrived. I just received another two night charge from them. I also did not get a request from booking to evaluate the B&B. This is the only time in 400 plus times that had happened. The 9 be rating is totally false and after talking to booking I believe the owners have rigged it.

Room Tip: Make sure your car is safe. The area is bad.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kearnsbj
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

We are heading to the air show and decided to stay in Milwaukee one night. Looked up website and attracted by the pictures. After we get in here and checked in. We really satisfied with their hospitality and enjoyed the decorations in the house. One of the great experience of B&B.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Be very careful about choosing this location as very few reviews seem to mention this. It seems strange as the decrepit state of the neighbourhood is so apparent. There seem to be a lot of 5* reviews written by people that have only ever reviewed this one b&b and nothing else.

Saying that, the house itself was beautiful and the rooms were extremely spacious. We even had a living room attached to the bedroom! The breakfasts were exceptional and the tea selection was abundant. The hostess, laura sue, took great pride in the house and her food. However, when we told a museum tour guide where we staying here (we were yet to check in), he warned us it was not a safe neighbourhood and we should not walk around. When driving there after visiting the museum, we could see why. The neighbourhood was in a state of disrepair, with boarded up houses, garbage and grafitti. Although nothing happened to us, we could feel the stares from people as we drove by and we did not feel safe driving. We already agreed before we checked in that if the b&b did not have private parking, we would not have stayed. There are cameras across the whole house and outside, which makes us believe it was for security reasons. In the night you could hear shouting from the streets and cop car sirens. A couple we had breakfast with there shared our sentiment.

As for laura sue, she was very nice to us but it seemed to be a little forced as she was rude about a previous guest to us, sharing an inappropriate story and she refused to open the side door to a couple checking in as 'they should know to use the front door' despite there being no signs saying this. She was also very condescing to her employee kendra, who was very nice and sweet.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave F
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Stayed here in June with 6 other friends. My idea of a B & B is that you get a unique experience. It is not the same as staying at a chain motel. Take that uniqueness - embrace it..... In this instance, a husband and wife team are working so hard to make their dream come true - over 9 years now. The mansion is beautiful and reflects 1000's of hours of labor and love.

I would definitely stay here again, if the opportunity arose. Again, beautiful property; lovely, spacious rooms, great breakfast in a pretty setting. Good bed.

Things that make Schuster Mansion B & B unique: There is a LOT of stuff to look at in each room. Every space is covered with interesting items. The man is very friendly, easygoing, helpful and easy to chat with. The woman is an individual. I have to say, her first words to me were, "How did you get in here?", rather than, perhaps, "Welcome to the Schuster Mansion!". She said that because the front door was supposed to be kept locked. All I know is I walked right in. Then another directive - "Don't bring your luggage in yet. Come with your group to the ladies' parlor first". Well, I looked back through the front door and the van had been unloaded already with 7 guests' luggage on the curb. I said, "Too late." She huffed and said then to bring it in.

My friends were giggling at this edict and also laughing because there was a man on the street catcalling to us as we took our luggage inside. This same man appeared a handful of times through the night as my friends watched through their bedroom window. He would come out from the apartments across the street - meet briefly with the driver of a car that had stopped. Then the car would take off and the man would go back to his apartment - until the next car. We didn't feel unsafe and had a funny story to tell!

You do meet in the ladies' parlor to get the details worked out regarding coffee/tea service and breakfast times. It is a little unusual, yet I do see the purpose of it. One really receives personalized service here.

There are a number of little rules and dos and don'ts. This could be a little off-putting. But I also get that the proprietors are trying to relay information. I have stayed in probably 100 bed and breakfasts across the US and this particular one is at the high end of making one feel like a naughty school girl should you deign to break a rule. Again, I can only imagine, after pouring your heart and soul into a place, and doing everything yourself, that one would want to ensure that the guests don't unknowingly cause damage to this lovely place.

My friends and I were highly entertained by our stay here. Gave us an adventure and stories to tell and, again, we felt perfectly safe and definitely taken care of. We hope that Mansion will be around for the next 100 years!

Stayed: June 2017