“Strange Service”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Early in June, I had the opportunity to visit Father Fats twice, once on a Thursday night as part of a business group and again on a Saturday night ... I recommended Father Fats to the Saturday night group of friends based on the experience of a few nights earlier. I'll start by saying that I do understand it is a new establishment.
Our group arrived Saturday night about 8 p.m. One person wanted a gin and tonic. The bartender said they had a run on tonic drinks that evening and someone had gone to the store to buy more tonic. About 15 minutes later, sure enough, the door to the kitchen swung open and someone handed the bartender a six pack of the small tonic bottles. Apparently they didn't think they would have to make more than six drinks the rest of the evening.
On to dinner. As we were ordering, I noticed a blackboard near the rear entrance and on the board was written "4 CT APPLE PIE." I asked the waitress about this and she said it indicated to the staff that there were four apple pies left. I asked if I could reserve one. She said I could not, but if I really wanted it, she would place the order (???). I said I did want it ... and it showed up with my soup. The mushroom soup was delicious, but it sure didn't go with apple pie and a small scoop of ice cream.
When the main portion of our dinner arrived, everyone received the correct order, except one person in our group. We flagged down the hostess, asked about that order, and we were told "not everything comes out at the same time" (???). Because I had recommended the restaurant, I was not a happy camper by this time. The hostess asked if I wanted to speak to one of the owners. I said yes. Toward the end of the meal, an owner/manager came up, asked about the dinner and we began to recount the strange service. His first question was, "Are you from around here?" I told the truth and said that we only get to Stevens Point about twice a year. He suggested that the next time we came back we should make sure to let the staff that we had a good experience and a bad experience and we would be taken care of (???). After a LENGTHY discussion, he took the apple pie off the bill. Bottom line ... the food both nights was very good. The service the first night was good, and the second night it was very strange ... and embarrassing for me as I had made the recommendation. If you go, I suggest you tell the staff that you had been there before and had a good experience and a bad experience. As the manager said, "we'll take care of you."

2  Thank John M

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I love that it has a Tapas menu.. Food is great and so is the waitstaff. Will be back to try more dishes.