“Stale and Uneventful”

Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere was one like a retirement home. The waitstaff was lackluster and our waitress never cracked a smile. I had scallops which were tasteless and rubbery. My boyfriend had a burger which was basic, and didn't have the BBQ sauce on it that he ordered. Overall, the experience took our nice day and put it to rest. We will never return, even for an event.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We were told this place had a great Friday fish fry. You could smell the grease 100yds away from the parking lot. I don't know why we kept walking toward the entrance, but we did. The place is in fact a huge barn, with many various banquet halls and dining rooms.

The service was wonderful. Out waiter was very pleasant and attentive. Martini was ok. Manhattan was fine. The water tastes funny.

The clam chowder is so thick the spoon stands up in it. It is doughy, floury and lacks any clam flavor whatsoever. It was institutional tasking, bland, like hospital food.

The 4 piece Atlantic cod fish fry was greasy. The potato pancake was think, rubbery and had no crunch on the outside. Coleslaw, meh.

I had the baked cod, which like all fish fry fish was frozen then baked, but this piece had a rubber exterior that was impenetrable without a knife, while the inside was absolute mush. Like the potato pancake, the fries were passable but on the underdone side.

The place was packed. The portions are large and the prices low, so that has to be the draw.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

not a place I would go back to again. Ordered a meal that was not cooked completely and I was concerned being that it was pork. The owner / manager came over and
said that is the way the cook makes it. After what seemed like a long discussion about
my concern, the food was taken back to be cooked more but not before the discussion almost turned into an argument. Very unpleasant and was not happy with the meal.
No apologies for any inconvenience. There are plenty of other places much better
and actually want your business.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

We were patrons of the Cottonpicker from the time they opened their doors until they closed. Always great food and service.
For some unknown reason we never visited the Cotton Exchange until last evening.
From my wife's comments glad that we had not visited sooner.
My point of view excellent.
First off virgin Marys. Very good, came with a dill slice, olive and the best tasting mushroom I have ever eaten. Have no idea what they were marinated in but they were sweet and delicious.
Next seafood chowder for both of us, very good. I had a house salad with a combination of French and thousand island dressing. Good as usual.
Then came the problem, my wife ordered prime rib and it was not as good as the Cottonpicker's had been.
Flavor was good but meat was not very tender.
I ordered shrimp de Johng and it was as great as the Cottonpicker's had been.
We will return, just will not order prime rib again.
Service was great and prices were reasonable.
We would have given an excellent rating except for the problem with the rib.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

.When we walked in the front door, the first thing to hit us was the smell of dirty carpet and old grease.

We ordered the sirloin steak with a salad and baked potato. The salad was wilted and old-tasting. Lots of 'rusty' pieces of bitter iceberg that were inedible, old watery cucumber that was paper thin and dressing that clearly came out of a bottle and tasted of refrigerator. Couldn't get through it. The baked potato tasted old and watery and half of it was black - again, I couldn't eat more than a couple of bites. The steak was a total surprise as it was absolutely delicious.

Our waitress was pleasant and efficient.

On our way out, I stopped to use the ladies room and could hardly stand the smell as I entered. While there are two exhaust vents in the ceiling, they apparently don't turn them on. Horrible.

Sadly, while the steak was delicious it was definitely not worth $24.99 per person.

The solution to this bad experience is an easy fix. Make fresh salads using fresh ingredients and don't plate them hours before you serve them. Find some recipes for decent salad dressings online and don't let them sit in your refrigerator to pick up the food smells. As for your environment, clean your carpeting regularly and turn on your bathroom exhaust vents. It's an amazing space but it smells and acts like a tired, old pub that the owners don't care about.

This was supposed to be a special anniversary dinner for us. We won't be back

3  Thank M C