“OK, mostly”

City Grill
Ranked #7 of 165 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The City Grill is where you can get a good steak but don't need to dress up to eat it. Housed in the beautiful downtown Wausau, it's a revolving door of locals seeking fine dining in a trendy atmosphere decorated in local art. The City Grill hosts live music once a week and is a great place to take a date, meet friends for appetizers or just watch the game with friends. And while the fillets and martinis taste top dollar, we promise they won't empty your pocketbook. In addition, City Grill offers banquet facilities, located on the 2nd floor of building. Our professional planners will help you choose the hall to accommodate your guests and will help you plan a personalized reception or meeting. Whether hosting 2 guests or 400, the City Grill & Jefferson Street Inn is the perfect venue for corporate events, board retreats, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, showers, gift openings and brunches. Our personalized service ensures that every detail is carried out according to your specific taste and style.
Reviewed 21 June 2018

Servers were pleasant, but service was on the slow side, we waited almost 20 mins between soup/salad and entree courses. Food was OK if not great, as if it had been sitting under a warming light for awhile. Reuben bread was soggy, fries warm but not crisp. Lettuce warm and a bit on the limp side. Atmosphere is pleasant and noise level not too high for conversation. Dinner for two, no alcohol, was $50 + gratuity, so not inexpensive but not unreasonably high either. Seems like just about everything was middle of the road. We might go back if we happen to be in the neighborhood at meal time, but would not make a special trip.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Yes, my title is recommendation of the rib eye. It was so tender and tasty. I always get mine medium-well which is usually against the chef's recommendation, but it's how I like it done. So worth it!!! We ordered it over the phone and went down to pick it up in bar. Only thing we didn't know is that they don't usually allow you to put bill on room....thankfully the bar attendant had mercy on us and allowed it. Now we know for next time. We actually ate there a few times the 4 days we were there, but the rib eye was my favorite!!! I made the rest of my family jealous so they are all getting a rib eye next time we come in town.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

We were on a short visit to Wausau and stayed at the Jefferson Street Inn. After shopping we went to check out the City Grill. Happy Hour was on and the bartender, Rachael made a big impression. She was so friendly and fast that she made our stay special, and convinced us to stay for dinner. The food was prepared well, we had ribeye and chicken piccata both were tasty with generous portions. We would definitely go back and this time try the lobster corndogs that she suggested.

Kasey T, Public Relations Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Thanks for the great review!! We will pass your kind words along to Rachael, we hope you come back soon!

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Got great service from waitress rose. I had the veal chop which was tasty and loaded with gorgonzola cheese. Vegetables were particularly good, especially the asparagus. Wife had the seabass which was prepared perfectly. We really enjoyed our time at this place. The bar atmosphere with super tall ceilings makes this place feel grand and hip. Everyone in Wausau is so nice!

Thanks so much for the great review! We will pass it along to Rose! We hope you come back!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

As local residents, my fiance and I have always make City Grill a place to treat ourselves. The atmosphere is wonderful, drinks are tasty, and the food is always very well prepared and exceeds expectation! Our last visit on Saturday, January 27th seemed to be extra special. I've worked in the food industry before and have been to, what I would call, fine dining establishments in larger cities and have always been amazed at the level of service given; A level of attentiveness that I never thought I would find back home in Central Wisconsin. During our last visit, Logan, gave us that sought after experience. He was articulate and knowledgeable in everything! Our drinks were always filled, our plates seamlessly entered and left the table, and he, with no question, redeemed a small error from the kitchen and brought out a replacement dish for someone at our table. The entire group left buzzing about the service and I only find it appropriate to write this comment to recognize his impact on our night out!! Thanks Logan!

Been to City Grill? Share your experiences!