“Never miss a chance to eat lunch here”

Philly's Subs and Gyros
Ranked #107 of 164 Restaurants in Wausau
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is the best place for a sub. My family has eaten here since they were a tiny sub shop over by NTC next the bridal shop that is now Kwik Trip. I think it is the bread that makes the difference. They have a seasoning on it that just rocks. The only grip I have is the price, but, the quality of the food makes up for it. For a family of 4 to eat lunch, sub, chips, drink is well over 25 bucks, so, more like a supper meal. But, it is clearly the best sub in town.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We visited the Stewart Avenue location to try out a new place and subs sounded good at the time. I was looking for something more substantial than Subway, and something different than Erbert & Gerbert's. Philly's is good but suffers from a number of issues.

The venue is easy to get to and parking is plentiful. No problems there.

The food itself was good. I had an 8" chicken BBQ sub combo. Their additives selection is a little short, as the only one that seemed worth adding to me were black olives. Although I know not every place can have a Subway-esque smorgasbord of toppings, a few more offerings would have been nice. The sub was still very good, and my partner's soup was very good and helped this venue stand out.

Although the food was good, the prices were not so much. Who can forget the "$5 footlong" jingle from Subway? Here, you pay nearly $6 for 66% of sub (8" versus 12"). These aren't particularly unique flavor offerings to justify the price; chicken BBQ is surely something I could have more of for less at a Subway. Even with a coupon for a free 8" sub, it cost $16 for three of us to eat. Excluding coupon and tip, we'd be getting over $7 for the subs alone, which I believe is steep for only having 8" offerings.

Additionally, the atmosphere had no coherence. The checkered floor and vaulted ceiling threw me back to diners of the 50s and 60s. The uniforms and staff gave me a modern vibe, clashing with the decor. Worst of all, country music was playing, which did not fit at all into the equation. At a Texas Roadhouse or a specifically down-south BBQ type of place, I would understand it. Here though, not so much.

In fairness, I did not try a gyro; something that I don't believe you can get at Subways around here. Perhaps if I did, I'd be keen on a higher rating. It seems to me though that, at least with subs, Philly's needs to evaluate their costs and prices. There is a Subway closer to me to drive to, or I can order and have delivery from Erbert & Gerbert's or even Jimmy John's. What's the incentive to eat here? If they could hone in on their offerings, theme, and atmosphere, they could make the value proposition of a $7-8 meal more worthwhile. In the meantime, I can't specifically recommend Philly's over any other sub/sandwich shop around here, though I wouldn't be averse to going here in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

I was in a hurry so I stopped at Philly's New location on Stewart Ave, I ordered a ham, turkey, and cheese sub.

They OD'd on the mayo, the lettuce was brown, and the cashier reeked of cigarettes.

Overall the new location has been and still is a dump.

Avoid this place.

3  Thank VictimOfFoodPoisoning
Reviewed 20 September 2012

very bad food and they put a little and the bread was old and hard and the gyros was grissy and auwful i never goes again .bad service too.

2  Thank sosi b
Reviewed 10 July 2009

the food is ok if you are a student, it reminds me of a dive I hung around in college, not a place to take people or for a fine dining experience