“Terrible service”

Wausau Mine Company
Ranked #8 of 169 Restaurants in Wausau
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Wausau Mine Company, our promise to you, our valued customer, is that we serve the best product in a friendly manner to ensure you are satisfied! Whether you order a ravioli, fettuccine, prime rib, soup or anything else on our menu, you can be assured it will be prepared from scratch, the way you would make it at home! In keeping with our policy of freshness and quality, we also offer a variety of heart healthy choices. We have very mouthwatering salads made with fresh spring mix or an ice berg mix. We also have grilled chicken and a baked cod. In our new venture we have added some delicious deep fried items, such as potato timbers, buffalo chicken strips, cheese curds and the list goes on. We are hoping to please just about everyone's palate!
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Attempted to get a table for 7. We were told a 20-25 minute wait. Totally understandable. Proceeded to wait and watch 5 other tables get seated before us. After 30 minutes I asked again how long of wait. I was told another 30 minutes. Just terrible. Absolutely the worst service I have experienced. Absolutely nothing from the hostess as far as how long it would take. Asked a manager about the problem and she said she can’t control the people coming in and out. Seriously wtf. Rude and not professional. Obviously they can’t hold a couple tables and push them together. Don’t go here with a big group. They don’t know how to handle it.

Date of visit: August 2018
Dan W, Owner at Wausau Mine Company, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Ldhost1, we truly apologize that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Thank you for leaving this detailed and honest review, because now we can use the information you shared to bring to the attention of our staff and continue to improve our guests' experiences. Hopefully we will be able to serve you again in the future and provide a much improved experience for you.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Uniquely design themed Mine Restaurant. Authentic items, scrumptious food and beverages. Great for the family, business or leisure dining!

Date of visit: July 2018
Dan W, Owner at Wausau Mine Company, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Thank you for giving us a great review and for recommending our restaurant to others. I'm sure our entire restaurant staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your visit. Take care, Jeremy!

Reviewed 10 July 2018

To be fair, I came in at a weird time: 2PM. I was a solo diner, but I was virtually assaulted to make my order 3 times in 6 minutes (including as I was walking to the table, BEFORE I had received a menu). I ordered the Italian Fries which came out almost immediately despite the "warning" to order early because they are baked to order, leading me to believe that these particular fries had been sitting around since the lunch rush. After getting a moment of peace to look over the menu, I ordered one of the specials: the Steakhouse Burger. When it came, I LOVED it! It's a bit of magic to get a pub-style burger to come out right, and this patty was perfect.
Then I waited. And waited. I had to take a trip to the bathroom and asked the only other person in the dining room to tell my server where I'd gone to in case she came back (I later realized that said person was either the manager or the owner). Between the time I got my entree and the time I received my bill there was at least a half hour without a check in from my server. Then when I got the check, I found out I had several $20s, 2 $5s, and 3 $1s to pay a bill of $20.58 in my wallet. $4.42 was way too much to leave for a tip on that service (and $2.42 seemed insulting) so I put a $20 and a $5 into the folder and waited. And waited. After nearly finishing my crossword puzzle (so at least 10 minutes probably 20), I set a timer for 5 more minutes. When it went off, I pulled out that $5 and replaced it with the 3 $1s. And then I went on my way. Like I said in the title:Pretty good food, but where WAS the service?

Date of visit: July 2018
Dan W, Owner at Wausau Mine Company, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

We are very appreciative that you took the time to leave us a review, Matthew! We will most definitely bring your concerns to the attention of our staff. We love to please, and we are sorry the service was not up to par as you expected. We hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon and provide you with a 5 star experience you deserve!

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

First visit here. The outside is really cool looking. The inside is awesome. It looks like youre seated in a mine with old mining decor. Its dimly lit yet adequate to see your menu and that adds to the perfect setting!!

Food: My family loved the appetizers and food. I personally was a little disappointed in my pizza burger. It wasnt what I expected. Just a burger with a little maranara & mozz cheese. Not a lot of flavor. Didnt taste like the pizza burgers I know - BUT I tasted my husbands burger my sons chicken pot pie & daughters chicken and they were great! I'll just try something else on our next visit.

Service was exceptional. I do not remember the guys name (started with a T I think) but he was very friendly and accommodating with our requests. He came back often to ask if we needed anything.

Didnt care for greeter/hostess...whatever you call the person seating us. Was away from the "desk" when we walked in, Didnt say hi or smile. Just said "how many? How many kids menus? Walked us to a table and walked away. Glad we didnt need to interact with her for the remainder of our visit.

All in all we will definitely be back. Very nice place.

Date of visit: July 2018

Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to leave us this review, Ks7600! We will definitely be passing your compliments on to our staff. We are so glad you dined with us, and it will be our pleasure to serve you again soon so you can try more items on our menu and let us know your thoughts.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

This is a must stop in Wausau. It's a hidden gem along the main drag. The interior is as if you are in an old mine, except it's not dark and dreary. The food is a local favorite with their specialty being the cheesy Italian fries. If you are in Wausau or driving through you HAVE to stop at this restaurant. The kids will love the "mine."

Date of visit: July 2017
Dan W, Owner at Wausau Mine Company, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for giving us a great review and for recommending our restaurant to others. I'm sure our entire restaurant staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your visit. Take care, EriclA9051AJ!!

Been to Wausau Mine Company? Share your experiences!