“If you like to sit and ask to be waited on”
Review of Thrive Foodery

Thrive Foodery
Ranked #10 of 164 Restaurants in Wausau
Reviewed 2 June 2018

I am all about supporting the local businesses, but after my experience this evening I may just stay home and cook my own dinner. I gave Thrive a 2 star instead of a 1 star because of the food. The food was great. It was getting the food that was the problem. Arrived at almost 8pm on a Friday night. It would be one thing if being busy caused the wait but it was not that busy. Yes there were a few people waiting to be seated, but there were open tables that just were not being cleaned up to be used again. And the vibe when I walked in the door was the first indication that it was not going to be a good experience. There was no sense of urgency anywhere. The hostess said it would be about a 20ish minute wait. Again there were open table that were not being put to use. When we were finally seated in this out of the way table that just begged to be forgotten. We sat and we waited, and we waited, and yes we waited some more. Finally I spoke up to a wait person that walked by if there was anyone waiting on this table. We were told that someone would be coming by shortly. Then the bartender? came by and took our order saying something about a communication issue. Our order was fairly simple, shrimp creole and a turkey sandwich. We waited, and waited as the restaurant began to clear out. When the food finally did come it was very tasty but tasty will not keep my patronage if the service is HORRIBLE. My suggestion is if you want to support a local place and have a lot of time and patience then give Thrive a try.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped by on our way to Bayfield. Neat place built in an old printing factory. Right when we walked in, the hostess just looked at us until we said something. Sat outdoors in the nice warm sun. The tables are up on the old truck docking area so you're next to all of the parked cars. Not a big deal just don't expect a view.

We waited quite a while for our waitress to come even though there was only one other table seated. I ordered the grilled cheese with bacon plus kettle chips. It came a bit charred in places and had an ok taste. They used Texas toast, it was mushy and the cheese was pretty mild in flavor.

My boyfriend ordered the Mac and cheese which he said was pretty yummy.

The restaurant is a bit tucked away not near other restaurants or shops.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We had a large group (about 20 people). The menu had something for just about everyone. All the food was delicious. The service was excellent. Considering most everyone ordered something different, the wait for our food was very reasonable. I enjoy the atmosphere - somewhat industrial and yet inviting. The staff was friendly.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My daughter’s request this year was to go to Thrive. As always, the food was superb! I had the Vietnamese Basa with shrimp and my daughter had....I can’t remember, but it was good. The first few bites of my entree had to adjust my taste buds a little, but then each bite got better and better. I could’ve ordered another when I was done and kept on eating. They have a really good wine and drink selection. This place is almost always busy, so we choose to get there before 6pm, but they’re efficient enough if you don’t. Our wait staff looked like they were new and still training, so it progressively got better as the evening went on and she was very attentive toward the middle, so we left her a double tip, just to say thank you.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Went with my wife. She had been here a few weeks earlier with our daughter. That particular experience wasn't the best. My daughter ordered the steak. Apparently it wasn't good at all. My wife said it was very fatty. Her exact words were " it was disgusting". Now the good news from the 1st visit. The manager came over and apologized and took it off the bill. He made her something to take home also, so he certainly made things right. Now my visit. The pizza was just ok. Nothing to write home about. My wife's salmon salad was excellent. The help was good. The prices were a little on the high side. I liked the atmosphere and will definitely go back and give it another try. It certainly deserves that.

Been to Thrive Foodery? Share your experiences!