All reviews mini kitchen nightly campfire indoor pool small kids young kids dells resorts great place for families coffee maker whole family off season chula vista bunkhouse cabin lumberjack ponderosa woods pits
Reviewed 16 August 2017

resort feels secluded but is only blocks from activities, there are multiple fire pits and grills for use, family movie every night, and three pools not deep enough for laps but appropriate size for children and families to use

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank shawnm2001
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

When we first arrived I wasn't sure what to think. It's an older place. The playground isn't shiny, the pools are just ok- nothing extravagant- and it just looks well, older. About the 2nd day we realized it was perfect. It's off the beaten path just a bit. There are tons of places to make a family camp fire at night- our kids played in the creek and we made smores. The kids loved the pools just fine. We had a mini kitchen and we made dinner and breakfast when lunch every single day except one dinner out- saved a ton of money. There's a grocery store about 4 blocks away. It's quiet. There were families playing kickball in the yard, just hanging out and relaxing. I did a couple of loads of laundry one night which was awesome. Don't count on the fitness center- the machines are about 25 years old lol. The staff is friendly and attentive. You're only a couple of blocks from downtown which is hopping and you can walk around, get dessert, do the boat tours and get souvenirs. It was the perfect place for us to stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I'll start with the good:
*I was pleasantly surprised to find that the room actually looked like the picture online. It was quite a relief actually. It was very spacious, with a great balcony.
* the lobby was small but beautifully decorated.
* the resort is a very short drive from downtown so that was nice.
* fire pits and grills were available for use. the grounds were nice with a stream running through.
* the pool area was perfectly suited for our two year old. Inside AND out. overall the place is suited to young children.

now the bad:
* the bathroom was horrible. There was a bath with thick cardboard-like curtain. The shower head was pathetic and kind of falling apart (see the picture) and although there was plenty of room there was NO SINK IN THE BATHROOM! The room, which sleeps up to five people, had ONE sink. it doubled as a kitchenette sink. Maybe it's just me but I don't like the idea of washing dishes in the same sink i use to wash my hands in after using the bathroom.
*the towels were rough and small.
*the sheets were rough. the pillows were rock hard and the bed was way too bouncy. These may seem like small things but when vacationing with little kids, like we were, a good, comfortable night's sleep is imperative!
* no meals. which i guess explains the tons of restaurant coupons. but they didn't even have milk, for coffee!
* no closet. there IS hanging space but a closet with a door would have been nice.
* no safe. We weren't travelling with our passports but I saw other tourists in the hotel clearly not from the US. I'm wondering how comfortable they felt just leaving their passports in the room.
* no lifeguard. what kind of child-friendly resort doesn't have lifeguards???
* no cribs or pack n' plays. REALLY??? families with small children come here and you don't think they'll need one? lucky for us, ours didn't take up a TON of space in the car but we could have used that space for other things!
* the balconies in the lodge are not private, they're shared with the adjacent rooms.

overall great for families on a budget. we did enjoy our stay for the most part.

Room Tip: ask for a pool-facing room
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The kids really enjoyed staying here. We had the kids cabin room so it gave us more privacy. We went to family movies every night and went to one of three campfires they made for everyone and we made s'mores. Our room had a balcony over the pool area and the kids loved it. The only issue I had was the beds were not comfortable. In addition the balcony was shared between us and two other rooms so we didn't feel comfortable leaving just the screen open at night.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here during June with season opener card. I was hesitant to stay based on mixed reviews.

I had absolutely no issues with smelling or seeing smoke anywhere on the property. Check on was a breeze and the attendant was friendly. Our room had 2 full beds plus a twin, fridge, microwave, and kitchen table. Room was very spacious and had a walk out to the deck. Excellent value for the money and would definitely consider staying again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family