“Always a good stop, but disappointed with the pot stickers”
Review of Bamboo Restaurant

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Quick summary: a good stop for lunch or dinner, with salads, sandwiches and main dish plates. Full bar and interesting cocktails. Friendly, professional service, Fun tropical atmosphere. Not cheap, but fair prices for Hawaii.

Th menu is pretty broad with Hawaiian and Pacific influences. Many apps (pupus) to share. I have to admit that we were really disappointed with the chicken and peanut pot stickers they rave about. The dough was really touch, not at all like the tender pot stickers I am used to in MANY Asian restaurants, but he filling was good.

We know the servings are large, and it was an early lunch, so we split the excellent roast pork, that comes with cabbage and two healthy scoops of rice. There are other good plate options.

There are sandwiches, and we almost went for the assorted "sliders" plate of their three main sandwich choices - burger, chicken. and pulled pork.

Cocktails, beer, wine, and soft drinks of all kinds round out a menu that has something for everyone.

Friendly, professional service.

Prices are reasonable for Hawaii and the quality of the food.

LOVE the atmosphere here - festive funky tropics in an airy, historic building.

Of course, if we are back on the big island, we'll be back. There are worthwhile shops right outside the door to make a day of it.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

I was very disappointed in in my lunch meal. We started with fried calamari that was very dark and tasted over cooked. I've had it before and it is usually good. The rest of our meal was average. The ambiance is quaint and, the servers are welcoming and efficient. I like the easy location of the parking behind the restaurant. This might have been just an off day in the kitchen, I'll be back!

mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Oh good heavens Lady Kona - I sure hope you said something! We would certainly have re-done your calamari strips. I don't know what else you had, so I'm not sure what was below par about it. I am so sorry. Please, please, please TELL us if you aren't happy!

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Great stop on a trip to Hawi. Different, cute, lots of atmosphere and you will feel like you are in "Hawaii". We shared The Big Bamboozer and a salad for lunch. The pot stickers were excellent and everything else was good, too. Service was good and at a comfortable pace.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

It's a throw back to the 1950's. The food is somewhat different but a delight to try. There may be a wait for a table but it's worth it.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

During our sightseeing trip on Big Island, stopped at Bamboo Restaurant for lunch. Large selection on Menu had a great Kalaua pork sandwich. Friendly and fast service.
Would recommend if in the area for lunch.