“So good we went back again”

Sweet Potato Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Sweet Potato Kitchen is a Gluten-Free Kitchen specializing in Non-GMO, Organic, Vegan Foods. We support our Community by acquiring ingredients Locally, making Healthy Foods that appeal to Adults & Children, keeping the menu fun, delicious & priced low enough that folks can enjoy daily visits! Our Head Chef, with his many years of experience, is amazingly talented when it comes to putting simple ingredients together to create a Divine dining experience! His sauces & gravies are Off-the-Chart! (The Mushroom Gravy combines Reishi & Miatake Mushrooms with various garden veggies and spices. Incredible and just $1.50!) We also offer Vegan Sweets & Treats like Coconut Cream based Ice Creams, Cream-filled cakes, Filled Chocolate Cups, Shakes, Smoothies, Brownies & items like Homemade PB&J on freshly baked Banana Bread! Pair that with any one of dozens of Teas, Juices, Coffee Alternatives or French Press Kona Coffee and enjoy a real treat! It's a great way to begin (or end) any day!
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We made 2 trips here during our stay in Hawi. Food is good, the staff is very personable. Nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Everything is made with love. Susan is amazing- must stop and give her a hug and try some of the fabulous VEGAN comfort foods

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We stopped for lunch in Hawi. We parked in front of the Sweet Potato, so we walked in to check out the menu. Our waitress was persuasive (friendly, but a good salesperson!) and invited us to sit down while we reviewed the menu. We hesitated, but decided to try the Sweet Potato.
I had a Belgian Waffle with fruit and my wife had the Chocolate Banana Bread PB&J.
My portion was ample and the fruit was fresh. It felt great to eat healthy, but the food didn't taste as great as it looked.
My wife's PB& J featured Cherry Jelly (yummy), but the bread was dry and just didn't have great texture. It was also a small portion.
The Sweet Potato serves cold water in glass bottles on the table (always a nice touch) and they had an excellent Honey Lime Ginger juice drink (I'd definitely order another). Nice decor with local art and some local characters visited while we had lunch.
The food just fell a little short (although it was definitely made fresh with fresh ingredients.) Of course, to me eating Vegan is a novelty and not my daily choice.
Reasonably priced for The Big Island.
I'd love to give it 3.5 Stars, because their heart is in the right place.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Luckily I arrived early, afterwards the service went down (a bit hectic and not well organized). I had the burger and it tasted healthy, dry and bland, the pickles bland as well, shake not good and I was not welcomed to not have honey in it. Cake selection looked not inviting. No bathroom, you have to take the car to get to one. The place itself is very lovely, warm colors.

SPK96719, Owner at Sweet Potato Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review!
We appreciate all comments that may help us to grow and serve our Guests better!
I'm assuming you ordered the Bounti♥Burger Classic...This item usually gets rave reviews, especially with the house made rolls and sides of Green Papaya Sweet&Spicy Salad and Dill Pickles!
The way we've created the menu is by presenting each new item first on our Specials Board...encouraging feedback during the first few weeks to decide whether it's a Thumbs UP! and goes permanently to the Daily Menu or whether it's a "meh" and goes back to the Kitchen 'Drawing Board!'.
We introduced the Pickles last week with Pickle Tastings and had such a positive response that just this week introduced the Pickle Plate and sold out in one afternoon!
The Shake: We offer 9 different Smoothies/Shakes on our menu and all are offered with choice of sweetener...with only one exception.
The Shake you're referring to, The Golden Milk-Shake is medicinal, the base being the Golden Milk, a drink that depends on the 6 ingredients working together to 'make its medicinal magic' and because the proportions of all these ingredients are exact, we make the batches of Golden Milk in advance. Because of this, there is the option to sub the Honey for whatever sweetener you desire but only for complete batches of a half-gallon (for large parties).
And the bathroom...so frustrating for us as well! There are two public facilities, each about a half-block away, most Folks will place their order, walk to the Lua and return to find their meals ready to enjoy.
I'm so sorry your experience was less than you were expecting...it pleases me to no end when our Diners tell us what a great meal they've enjoyed and conversely, when someone does not enjoy their experience, I really scrutinize what we can do better.
I'd love the opportunity to serve you something that 'WOWs' you,
so if you find yourself back in North Kohala, please stop in and allow me that opportunity. Mahalo.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

We were in Hawi yesterday and happened upon this restaurant for lunch. It was quite a treat! Everything on the menu is vegan and can be made vegetarian. Everything is also organic and gluten-free. They have a variety of delicious items on the menu. We started with a couple of the cold teas (served in cute mason jars). For our entrees we had the vegetable tartine special and the beetsteak burger. Both options provided a nice portion, were tasty and beautiful. The staff was warm and friendly. Located in the heart of Hawi, the dining space is inviting with bright red walls lined with bright paintings by local artists. We really enjoyed our lunch.