All reviews bamboo garden harmony house waffles beautiful waterfall the main house hibiscus room macadamia nut trees king kamehameha single lane road foot waterfall the big island off the beaten path falling asleep breakfast was delicious other guests fresh fruit bed and breakfast
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I had arrived on the Big Island on Tuesday 8/5/14 to begin our Honeymoon and by the following Saturday had to find another place due to Hurricane Iselle. We both felt incredibly lucky to have found the Inn at Kulaniapia Falls. From the moment we arrived, the staff were very gracious and accommodating. When we stepped into our room, the view from the bedroom window took our breath away. We could see the falls from our window. The room was exquisitely furnished and incredibly clean. We looked forward to the continental breakfast every morning and conversation with the staff at the Inn. When we told them we had an early departure and would not be able to have breakfast, "Brit" was so kind by leaving a "care package" of fruit and muffins in the refrigerator for us to take with us. The scenery around the Inn is spectacular, but I could go on and on. Simply put - Michael and I would stay there again, and recommend the Inn to anyone, without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirgilandMichael
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Beautiful grounds, great falls and the finest hospitality. The Owners and staff definitely went out of their way to not only make it comfortable for me, but they extended the same generous hospitality to all. Highly recommend staying there. I'm going back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is the place to stay near Hilo! The scenery is spectacular, as most rooms have views of Kulaniapia Falls. There are trails to the verdant pool below the Falls, which allow inn residents a refreshing dip. The rooms are tastefully decorated in Oriental decor, and the breakfasts were delightful. Wifi access is spotty, however the views are a welcome exchange for an hour missing from the internet. The hosts were extremely gracious, hosting a dinner for stranded residents when Hurricane Iselle hit the island on our last night. This place is a gem!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Falls.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tapbirds
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Harmony Building in the maile room. From the moment we arrived this place amazed me.
Having read some reviews on getting there I was a bit sceptical, thinking we had an off roading experience to contend with I was delighted to find a tarmac road through a macadamia nut farm.
This place has such a laid back approach which is suited to it's location.
It really is beautiful and well worth the stay. Our room was clean. Breakfast was great and our housekeeper was quite possibly the nicest, friendliest and most helpful person I've had the privilege of meeting.
I will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls is a beautiful location. The location is fairly easy to find and the drive up the hillside offers a view of Hawaii agriculture, lush ravines, and Hilo. Our initial impression was apprehension, since we didn't remember any e-mail telling us what to do upon our arrival. We inquired with the owner (curt, but polite, and businesslike) who told us the key to our room was in the door. We stayed in the Harmony House, Mallory Room, which was very clean, tastefully appointed, and inviting. Our view of the waterfall and valley was unobstructed and beautiful. We toured the grounds, attempted to swim beneath the waterfall, and relaxed to the sound of rushing water (which we listened to all night out our open balcony door). There is a very beautiful lanai on the back of the residence, which I used for wifi access (temporarily unavailable at the Harmony House). The Harmony House and Residence facilities are both equipped with full kitchens, where I brewed the available Speepytime Tea before bed. The nighttime view of the sky and Hilo was great and good for long-exposure photography. Breakfast was very filling, as they offered a decent selection of local fruit, coffee, juice, etc, along with very good waffles and eggs made-to-order (cooked by the extremely pleasant and personable staff). Our experience was pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2014