“Awesome japanese takeout”

Tamari Japanese Lunch Shop
Ranked #72 of 247 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 19 March 2015 via mobile

One guy who does everything. Cooked my ten-don bowl right there infront of me, so fresh, tasty, not oily at all!!! Very polite owner, i did not have to wait long for my food. Loved the sushi! So fresh & ono!!!

Thank Leimomi Bronson... K

Reviewed 14 October 2014

This place is very small -- only three tables. We had sushi one day there and it was delicious! Also, the small space assures you will talk with any other patrons while you are there. We were so impressed with the quality that the next day we returned, selected a different set of rolls, and took them home for dinner later. Everything was well-prepared and flavorful.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a small inexpensive take-out only lunch shop that opens for a few hours. I ordered the ten don bowl which was made fresh as I watched. The shrimp and vegetables had a light batter and were perfectly cooked; not oily at all. It was served on a bed of rice, choice of brown or white, with tsukemono and dressed with tempura sauce. My 9 year old son, who can be finicky, ordered the pork curry mini plate that came on rice with tsukemono and fresh greens. He loved it.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

They do not have tables or chairs for dining in, but their food is of restaurant quality. Fresh and detail oriented. The only problem is the "owner chef" can have this place open only for 4 hours a day (between 10 and 2)! If you are around the famous Hilo farmer market between 10 and 2, remember to take out lunch from Tamari. You won't regret.

1  Thank 96,720
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Tamari's is a little hole in the wall place with outstanding home style food. lunch take out only. we found it by asking a local where they liked to eat. tips: get there early, as he makes his sushi wraps ahead of time and puts them out ready to go. we arrived a little after 11 am and the sushi wraps were gone. Its a one man show he cooks your order fresh and serves it up and then on to the next person in line. there is a deli style counter with eggplant lasagna, and other casserole style dishes. I had the tempura special and my wife had the stir fry noodle with sea food, both delicious and worth getting again. if you are at the Hilo farmers market and want a lunch in true Japanese style Tamaris is a block over and well worth the short walk to get there. we will defiantly go there again!