“Great service.”

Tamari Japanese Lunch Shop
Ranked #74 of 247 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 19 April 2015

The owner works the counter and cooks the food. He cooks small batches, so nothing sits for very long.

We came after the lunch rush, and the specials (as well as most lunch selections) were gone. No big deal - the owner whipped up something yummy for us fresh and hot. When he learned that one in our party was vegetarian, he modified a dish to accommodate.

Great local food, great service.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

Although it's a small take out place with difficult to find parking place, it has the best vegetarian lasagne, best everything. And you can't beat the prices. If I could, I'd go back everyday to have lunch.

Reviewed 19 March 2015 via mobile

One guy who does everything. Cooked my ten-don bowl right there infront of me, so fresh, tasty, not oily at all!!! Very polite owner, i did not have to wait long for my food. Loved the sushi! So fresh & ono!!!

Thank Leimomi Bronson... K
Reviewed 14 October 2014

This place is very small -- only three tables. We had sushi one day there and it was delicious! Also, the small space assures you will talk with any other patrons while you are there. We were so impressed with the quality that the next day we returned, selected a different set of rolls, and took them home for dinner later. Everything was well-prepared and flavorful.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a small inexpensive take-out only lunch shop that opens for a few hours. I ordered the ten don bowl which was made fresh as I watched. The shrimp and vegetables had a light batter and were perfectly cooked; not oily at all. It was served on a bed of rice, choice of brown or white, with tsukemono and dressed with tempura sauce. My 9 year old son, who can be finicky, ordered the pork curry mini plate that came on rice with tsukemono and fresh greens. He loved it.