US$450
Autograph
  • Beachfront
The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort(Puako)(Great Value!)
US$338
US$299
US$353
US$299
Fairmont.com
Honoka'a Club(Honokaa)
US$129
  • Free Internet
No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewsthe main housethe parkerthe big islandbilliard roomhistoric charmper yearentire staydark purpletropical islandspent one nightour room was spaciouslots of historyfront porchbeautiful groundsred water cafemusty smellkona coast
Reviewed 27 January 2015

This is a lovely property with unusual decor in the rooms, probably not to our taste, but notwithstanding, the host was a strange sort and not particularly welcoming. Wifi only works in the main room.
Eerily similar experience to swans11's review.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julia W
Reviewed 7 January 2015

There's a lot to like about this place, with a couple of caveats. I should preface this review with a warning that when I have time off and stay on island, I am usually at a ocean side resort, or camping. This was my first experience staying in Waimea, and the first night we had a storm where winds on the summit of Mauna Kea hit 155 mph, and we didn't sleep much that night. As you can see from the pictures, this is classic Hawaiian Plantation architecture, and we were delighted that the roof didn't come off. Kidding aside, we were warm and dry.

On the other hand, the wild weather provided the summit with lots of snow, providing a photographer's dream. My wife grew somewhat irritated that I was out taking so many pictures, to tell the truth.

We stayed in the Lily Cottage, which has the benefit of a jacuzzi tub, and ample space. It felt a little cramped to be on a queen bed in such a large room, and I'm used to a king tempurpedic, so I was happy to leave the venerable pillowtop behind. It was not bad for two nights. The advantage of the White Lily Cottage is that it has more privacy and the tub. Don't forget to bring a candle.

As other reviews mention there is absolutely no onsite services in terms of drinks, food. The owner will probably check you in. My iphone had no trouble finding it with google maps, but there was no indication at the entrance that you need to walk up the stairs in the main building and go down a hall, where the office is to the right. If Mary Ellen is not there you'll see a phone with a number. As to the reviews where there were comments about her brusqueness, we didn't experience that; keep in mind she does almost everything herself on the property, and that may aid your perspective.

There's a lot of history attached to the place, having once been owned by Rockefeller when he was building Mauna Kea Beach hotel. Jackie O was a guest of his. I wonder if she shot any pool there?

So overall, we enjoyed ourselves. I definitely felt that the room needs updating. A flat screen tv and a stereo would do much to improve the feeling, and open up space for a desk / workspace, which is sorely needed.

Remember that Waimea can get cold at night, even in summer. In winter when there's snow on Mauna Kea? Low 50's. There was a space heater in the closet that we used in the morning, but we were fine with the bed covers to stay warm through the night.

So given the caveats, I think this is a strong option for Waimea in a very unique location. Keep in mind that I did not see the insides of any other rooms; the place was pretty vacant.

Be sure to check out the RedWater Cafe as a dinner option.

Room Tip: White Lily cottage has jacuzzi tub and privacy
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank konadaze
Reviewed 15 December 2014

My husband and I had a great experience here. This inn is ideal for couples who would like some privacy and comfort. It was also very close to Merriman's Restaurant, site of possibly the best dining on the island, and a good base location for exploring Hawi & Waimea. We had excellent, attentive customer service from Mary Ellen. We live on the Hilo side of the island & would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank E J
Reviewed 25 November 2014

We arrived in the early evening for only one night's stay and had a little trouble finding the property in the dark and the rain. At the end of the sweeping drive we found the front door open and instructions to proceed down the long hallway to an empty back office, where a further note advised us to ring the lady looking after the place to check in. Our room, towards the rear of the property, was quite large and interestingly furnished, but had curtains drawn around all the perimeter glass walls to try to create privacy from other guests walking by.
We were quickly left alone in our room and forgot to ask about possible eating options nearby or any other useful information about the property or the local area.
There was no WiFi in the room but we were able to use the connection in the main house and were soon ensconced in comfortable arm chairs in a deserted living room, full of extremely impressive furniture and historical antiques and bric a brac, while an eerie wind still blew down the hallway through the open front door and an errant bird flew around the ceiling (the young lady looking after the place did turn up and attempted unsuccessfully to encourage him out the front door) - all a bit surreal!
In the morning we skipped the tea and coffee as the coffee machine didn't work and breakfast was not included, and set off fairly early. Again no-one seemed to be around to see us out so we left the room key on the desk in the again empty office and phoned the suggested number to notify we were leaving. We didn't have time during our stay to explore the property, which seemed to have quite a remarkable history but the whole stay was quite an eerie experience. I don't think we would stay here again but it would probably be an interesting place for history lovers who have a little more time to appreciate the uniqueness of this property.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank swans11
Reviewed 13 November 2014 via mobile

Had a place in kona but needed to be here at 430 am for a hunt. The accommodations here were extremely nice. Mary Ellen was helpful in getting me settled. There are excellent backdrops of hills/mountains with cattle grazing on the green grass. For bow hunters I was able to use my target and confirm my bow was sighted in.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo