“It was ok.”

and 1 more site!
Jacaranda Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Waimea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2015 via mobile

We had a decent stay at the jacaranda. The rooms were clean, the bathroom was huge,and the property was nice. Reading previous reviews, I would agree it was sort of strange. It's not your typical hotel where you are walk in and be greeted by the front desk staff. We walked down the long hallway, and I had to holler to see if anyone was around. Also, the sign from the road is very small, and very easy to miss. Don't be fooled, it's not a bed and breakfast! But all in all it was a place to stay on the big island, close to town, and Waimea Coffee where they DO serve breakfast!

Stayed: June 2015

Reviewed 17 May 2015

This was one of the most unusual stays we've had. We selected this after reading a review in The Big Island Revealed.

We arrived, my husband checked us in and we never saw anyone again! We knew breakfast was on our own and it is close to Waimea so this is not a problem. It was just a bit odd. Note: We did not go in search of anyone, but were in the main house a number of times and saw nobody.

The main house is really unique and has an amazing history. Originally owned by the manager at the Parker Ranch and then sold to one of the Rockefellers, it has such potential, but it is like stepping into a time warp. We did not stay in the mainhouse, but in rooms that were connected to the mainhouse by covered walkways.

The rooms were spacious and clean. There was room for the kids to run around and the gardens were pretty.

The furnishings are dated - some 70's, some Victorian, some in-between. And the place needs some tender loving care as many buildings as this age do. Wifi did not work in our rooms (not a problem for the adults, and it was nice to see my kids playing a board game!)

The hightlight of the night was eating at Merriman's which was a 3-5 minute drive away.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Sixonthego_50
Reviewed 19 March 2015

The Inn was very charming but very much in need of a facelift. It seems worn rather than charming. With a little tender loving care it could be wonderful but sadly they seem to be doing the bare minimum to maintain the property.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank SigiUnitedStates
Reviewed 27 January 2015

This is a lovely property with unusual decor in the rooms, probably not to our taste, but notwithstanding, the host was a strange sort and not particularly welcoming. Wifi only works in the main room.
Eerily similar experience to swans11's review.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julia W
Reviewed 7 January 2015

There's a lot to like about this place, with a couple of caveats. I should preface this review with a warning that when I have time off and stay on island, I am usually at a ocean side resort, or camping. This was my first experience staying in Waimea, and the first night we had a storm where winds on the summit of Mauna Kea hit 155 mph, and we didn't sleep much that night. As you can see from the pictures, this is classic Hawaiian Plantation architecture, and we were delighted that the roof didn't come off. Kidding aside, we were warm and dry.

On the other hand, the wild weather provided the summit with lots of snow, providing a photographer's dream. My wife grew somewhat irritated that I was out taking so many pictures, to tell the truth.

We stayed in the Lily Cottage, which has the benefit of a jacuzzi tub, and ample space. It felt a little cramped to be on a queen bed in such a large room, and I'm used to a king tempurpedic, so I was happy to leave the venerable pillowtop behind. It was not bad for two nights. The advantage of the White Lily Cottage is that it has more privacy and the tub. Don't forget to bring a candle.

As other reviews mention there is absolutely no onsite services in terms of drinks, food. The owner will probably check you in. My iphone had no trouble finding it with google maps, but there was no indication at the entrance that you need to walk up the stairs in the main building and go down a hall, where the office is to the right. If Mary Ellen is not there you'll see a phone with a number. As to the reviews where there were comments about her brusqueness, we didn't experience that; keep in mind she does almost everything herself on the property, and that may aid your perspective.

There's a lot of history attached to the place, having once been owned by Rockefeller when he was building Mauna Kea Beach hotel. Jackie O was a guest of his. I wonder if she shot any pool there?

So overall, we enjoyed ourselves. I definitely felt that the room needs updating. A flat screen tv and a stereo would do much to improve the feeling, and open up space for a desk / workspace, which is sorely needed.

Remember that Waimea can get cold at night, even in summer. In winter when there's snow on Mauna Kea? Low 50's. There was a space heater in the closet that we used in the morning, but we were fine with the bed covers to stay warm through the night.

So given the caveats, I think this is a strong option for Waimea in a very unique location. Keep in mind that I did not see the insides of any other rooms; the place was pretty vacant.

Be sure to check out the RedWater Cafe as a dinner option.

Room Tip: White Lily cottage has jacuzzi tub and privacy