Agoda.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main housethe parkerthe big islandhibiscus roombilliard roomdining roomshistoric charmper yearentire staytropical islandspent one nightour room was spaciouslots of historyfront porchbeautiful groundsred water cafemusty smell
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I checked in here on February 8 for two days while I was on business as it was equidistant to where I was travelling. I stayed in the Anthurium room for two nights which if I hadn't prepaid, I would have checked right out. Upon opening the slatted wood door and then the glass door, I instantly smelled mildew and found mold on the baseboards. The owners were no where to be found that day as I wanted to ask for a room switch. I settled back in to do some work on my tablet and could barely see anything with the dim light in the room. Upon seeing the dehumidifier, which was full of black water, I knew the mildew and mold were there. I then went into the bathroom to find a silverfish bug walking across my toilet. Weeds in all the gutters, this place is a breeding ground for a fungal or staph infection. If you are going to run a guest house (no it is not a B&B, no breakfast, no service, no ownership for making things right for guests) then do so. This place should be condemned by the health department. Talk about quaint and charm in your advertising flyer all you want....BUT MOLD AND MILDEW AND BUGS SHOULD BE FAIR WARNING TO TRAVELERS TO STAY THE HELL AWAY!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

I've been coming to the Big Island of Hawaii for many years and visit Waimea every time I'm here. I've always wanted to stay at the Jacaranda Inn, because it looks so lovely from the road.

And it is lovely -- lots of history and a beautiful setting.

If you approach it with low expectations, you won't be disappointed. There's no service, to speak of. The room I was in was large and lovely, but the beds were made in a very haphazard fashion -- sheets showing beneath the duvet covers, etc. It's really not a big deal, but I always think that if attention is not paid to some of the details, there's a larger problem. Also, no TV or Wifi in the rooms, and no food service on the property can be a drawback, possibly, for some travelers.

If you just want a reasonably nice room in an interesting and historic setting, though, this is the place.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

I was not disappointed. Read the "musty" comments, no problem. They get a lot of rain her, what do you expect? We had a huge room and bathroom, sit down shower. I liked it a lot.
The weather was great, cool, damp, windy. Very refreshing.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2017

What a unique place in a spectacular setting. We were the only guests in the Inn both night we stayed there. The room was very spacious and homey. I walked about the property and it was like exploring an abandoned world so obviously very quiet. There are dining rooms, parlors, a bar and a billiard room all worth seeing and just sitting in. The place had a very historic feel it and I wish them the best in keeping it a vital part of the community.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2017

We stayed one night in the Hibiscus Room and enjoyed our stay. We always like places that have some history and feel more connected to the place than cheap hotels. The room was larger than expected and nicely appointed. As others have mentioned, there were hints that the place needs some renewed energy and vision but the location and history more than made up for it for us. Our room was clean and not musty in the least!

Room Tip: The Hibiscus Room was great for us!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple