“Hiker's Retreat- Much more than expected”
other traveller has booked this property
Rainforest Views from your bed
Apapane (Ah-Pah-Pah-Nay) playing in the Hapu'u tree ferns in the garden area.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Rainforest Views from your bed
Apapane (Ah-Pah-Pah-Nay) playing in the Hapu'u tree ferns in the garden area.
Kalij pheasants can occasionally be seen on the grounds, making soft 'booping' sounds.
Exotic flowers grow amongst the ferns and towering Ohia trees.
A night view of a lava flow - you never know what you might find.
Anthuriums grow brightly under the forest canopy.
Occasionally you'll see a group of Frankolin crossing the road.
Kilauea Crater in Volcanoes National Park is only minutes away.
The gardens contain a few secluded koi ponds for your enjoyment.
This lava gaurdian is actually where lava flowed around a tree in the park.
There are a few lava tubes in the area that you can easily explore - bring a flashlight!
Our beautiful garden paths walk you between the koi ponds and stands of bamboo through the forest.
Well lit graveled paths lead from the parking area.
Koi ponds and ferns along our garden paths.
The park has exotic beauty of many kinds and colors - and many miles of hiking trails.
Hawaii even gets snow in the winter, on the very peaks of the tallest volcanoes.
Kilauea is the active crater, the centerpiece of the park.
Lava sometimes breaks out and heads to the ocean.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
shutterbu...
Mililani, Hawaii
“Hiker's Retreat- Much more than expected”
Reviewed 19 September 2012 for a stay in September 2012
person found this review helpful

I booked the retreat for a last minute trip to the Big Island. The studio was a budget accomodation- we paid under $500 for 6 nights!- and so I wasn't expecting much more than a warm bed near the park. But it was so much more than I expected! There are 3 units on the property and we were lucky enough to be the only ones staying there at the time so we had the grounds to ourselves. The owners were having some work done in one of the guest houses and apologized profusely for the noise but we never heard a peep. The studio is on the small side but large enough to accomodate 2 people. It is attached to the main guest house and the 1 bedroom rental is behind the main building. The grounds are very lush and beautiful- though perhaps a little small for 3 rental units and had the others been occupied during our stay we wouldn't have had the privicy we did while there. The studio is extremely clean and very well built. It is tastefully decorated and is not "budget" quality at all- with a beautiful beamed ceiling, many skylights throughout and a stone bathroom. The lanai is on the small side but overlooks the lovely koi ponds and is a comfortable place to enjoy your morning coffee (but bring your own coffee pot- the cottage only has an electric kettle). My only complaint regarding the accomodations pertains to the lack of privacy. If renting to 2 people it should be disclosed that the bathroom has only salloon style doors. I really don't know why the owners made that design choice as it was a pretty significant downfall in my opinion and can make for an uncomfortable situation if you're not staying there alone. Also, none of the windows had coverings. Though they faced the rainforest side of the cottage I would have felt far more comfortable if at least the window near the bed were frosted or had a curtain or something to provide some privacy. The only other negative of note was payment- which was due in full, via Paypal, at the time of our reservation. Most vacation rentals require a deposit with the remaining balance due a short time before arrival. As I had just been forced to cancel our originally planned trip (my husband is in the military and his deployent was moved up), I was leary about paying in full up front, concerned about both potential cancellation and/or some sort of scam. But thankfully it all worked out.

Overall I would say you get much more than you pay for here and the owners are incredibly hospitable and quick to respond to anything you may need. The studio is very comfortable and in an excellent location- less than a mile to volcano village and less the 5 minutes to the entrance to Volcanoes National Park.

Bedding & mattresses Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Quality of the accomodations
Liked least: The lack of privacy due to salloon style bathroom doors and lack of window coverings.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
FL

Rugged travelers
FL
Reviewed 10 June 2012 for a stay in August 2011

A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing