Classic Vacation Cottages
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kalaheo
See available hotels
View Hotel
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We had to cancel, the place was to dirty, filthy. I don't think they know what cleaning a room means, and they don't care!

Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mme_caribou
Reviewed 10 August 2009

WARNING !!! The house was not as advertised. The furnishings were trashy, the place was not clean, the pictures on the website were misleading. The owner, Chris Webster, was a real jerk.
When we refused to stay there, he would not refund the rent we had paid him. When we said we were going to call the authorities, he beat us to the punch, called the police and accused me of "trashing" the house. He said we littered the lanai with food cartons, etc. and that we tore curtains and a screen on a sliding glass door to the lanai.
In fact, the curtains were dry rotted and torn before we got there as well as the rip in the screen door.
As for the mess, in one room, the sleeper sofa had used tissues on the floor under it, it was gross. The refrigerator on the lanai had someone's "leftovers" in it!
As it turned out, we stayed there for about 3 hours as some of our family members looked for another place to stay. Eventually, we found accomodations at the nearby "Plantation" resort. It cost us over $7000.
Anyhow, as I said, he filed a complaint against me personally before we could file our own. The police actually had a warrant out for my arrest for "malicious distruction of property". The next day, when we had settled in at our new lodgings, my sister and I went to the police station in Lihui to file our complaint, only to find out that the police were looking for me!
A police officer had responded to Chris's complaint by going to the house to see the "damage" that Chris alleged that I had done. The police report said the place was a mess and there were broken items. The police officer at least agreed with what we thought, although he thought that we were the cause, not the victims.
Luckily, the police and the district attorney could see that we were not the cause of the damage and threw the warrant out; but they could do nothing for us about getting our money back.
The system makes it very difficult for tourists to fight this kind of situation because you would have to travel back to the island to take the owner to court, and there is nothing that you could do if he and his attorney postponed on you after you travelled there. How many trips would you have to make?
As it turned out, my older sister who had arranged this trip was so distraught about the situation (the money lost and the stress) that it was ruining a trip she had planned for years; so, I dropped the issue for the remainder of the trip and we all tried to have a good time.
Upon returning home to Michigan, I pursued an inquiry into bringing Chris and Classic Cottages to justice, but found out that there wasn't much anyone could do for me. That's why I decided to write this complaint. Hopefully, no one else will go through what we had to endure.
Chuck B

Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
14  Thank tripdoggie
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We were very comfortable staying with Chris at Classic.
We stayed in the Hana House which was an older home with simple beddings and creature comforts. If you are expecting 2009 decor and pillow top beds stay at condo with the other tourists. If you enjoy being with the ones your traveling with and want to feel more like a local and less like a tourist try here. We love to cook and the kitchen was very well stocked with equipment. Chris makes available coolers and mats/chairs for the beach which were handy. I was able to put together a set of golf clubs from his garrage(free) and enjoyed 9 holes for 9 dollars at the local G.C. (all you can play for $9)
His cottages are off the beaten path which is what we enjoy, hope you do to. If you have never been to Kauai, and dont like wild chickens/roosters, dont come to Kauai

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChadnDayna
Reviewed 2 March 2009

When we arrived at the Poipu house, we arrived to find our room with someone else's name on the door. After phoning the host, we found out it was double booked. By the way, the Queen Suite we ordered was absolutely filthy and filled with worn out Salvation Army type furniture. The towels were smelly and the bedsheets were mismatched and moldy smelling. There was dust on the fans and the tub was dirty. After talking to Chris, the owner, I said we'd move to the other cottages he owns in the town of Kalaheo. By this time we were tired from flying and had our 7 year old daughter with us. He offered a 3 bedroom house to us instead for the same price. I said I don't care about the size, I just wanted it to be clean. Guess what, bigger but still dirty. We stayed two nights while we found other accomodations (in Kapaa). We payed our two nights and Chris gave us a check for the remainder of our deposit. We were very happy to be out of that place, didn't feel like it was safe to have a child in those moldy conditions. You get what you pay for, actually, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. I wonder about the reviewers here that had wonderful experiences. I really can't believe that anyone would give either the Poipu house or the Kalaheo cottages a positive review.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank k1w1Vancouver
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I stayed in the Poipu guest house, and our room (the Master suite) was wonderful. The suite was huge - with private bath, lanai, kitchen, huge bedroom, breakfast nook. The price was amazing for all this just blocks from the beach. You couldn't even get a dumpy hotel room for this price! My mother stayed in the "queen suite" which was also a great value for a private bedroom, living room and private lanai. The house was gorgeous with a very nice, large, landscaped yard.

I can't say enough good things about Classic Cottages. The owner was very nice, casual, and easy to get ahold of by cell phone. He provides snorkle equipment to borrow, as well as golf clubs, beach mats, etc...Kitchens are fully stocked with dishes, pans, etc... When I return to Kauai I will be staying here from now on!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family