“Nice Stay”
Review of The Palmwood

The Palmwood
Ranked #1 of 2 Kilauea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Our family enjoyed staying at The Palmwood. It's very quiet and peaceful. The only exception would be the chorus of roosters in the morning, but it was actually an enjoyable presence. Delicious breakfasts, beautiful scenery, and well maintained grounds. Also- a nice base-spot to begin exploration of the northern side of the island.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 June 2017

We had a great stay at the Palmwood. The location was good to get to all the Northshore sites and places, beautiful setting, nice room and great breakfasts!
It nice and quite, scenic views, there is a small pool to cool off and the owner very friendly and nice to talk to.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2017

My husband and I went to the Palmwood to celebrate our 10-year anniversary: that is to say how high our expectations were - especially considering the fact that we had been warmly recommended the place by some friends of ours who had been there many years ago. We were not disappointed by the beauty of the surroundings (although the room itself was fairly simple, the linens and beach towels not changed once in our five-day stay, which I find questionable considering the price of the room).
Kauai is a gorgeous island and the owner of the B&B, named Eddi, has made sure to make the most out of it as far as the outside of her place is concerned (the view from the west suite is incredible, and the outside shower and hot tub are magical). The big caveat and the main reason why I am ambivalent about the Palmwood is the poorness of the service. It seemed as though Eddi was avoiding us as much as she could. She neither greeted us when we arrived nor said goodbye when we left, always making sure we could not ask her for advice or a favor. Although the breakfast was tasteful (if you are versed in the "gluten-free" type of food), there was no choice given whatsoever, so that left me frustrated as well without any possibility to vent about it to Eddi at any point of our stay since she was nowhere to be seen and did not make you at ease to chat when she came to bring your plate.
If we had stayed for a night or two, it might have not struck me as much, but five days there were definitely too many (in fact, on the last day, we were back to our first-day breakfast menu, as though she did not have more than four combinations in her repertoire).
If you are just about being in sync with the beautiful Kauaian nature, don't hesitate to go. If you want a little more human interaction, the Palmwood is probably not the place to go.

Room Tip: The west suite is the one with the most beautiful view.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Louise_Aliclard
Reviewed 3 May 2017

I have mixed feeling about the Palmwood. The location and rooms are absolutely gorgeous with lovely views and wonderful landscaping. We stayed in the West room and absolutely loved our outdoor garden, shower, and hot tub. It was quiet and I loved that we weren't at a crowded resort. Furnishings are unique and beautiful. The room itself could use more hangers (there were two normal hangers and three extremely wide frame hangers that weren't suitable for hanging any of my nor my husband's clothing without risking popping seams) and storage space--there was only one chest in which we could store clothes. Breakfasts were ample and delicious, though don't expect typical "breakfast foods"--we were served more savory items which many people would eat for dinner such as chicken and fish. (We loved this, but I'm commenting because others might be put off by it!)

What I think is really missing here was warm hospitality. We didn't meet Eddi until the second morning of our stay. We arrived late in the afternoon and showed ourselves to our room as directed. When we arrived at breakfast the following morning at 8:30 (breakfast is from 8-9), our food had simply been left out for us to serve ourselves. The second morning of our stay was our first interaction with Eddi and consisted simply of her giving us our food. No introductions, no queries about how our stay had been thus far or if we needed anything. We frequent inns and B&Bs and owners come in all stripes, but I don't think I've ever encountered an owner as hands off. My husband and I are very self sufficient travelers, but part of the reason we enjoy staying at B&Bs is because of the personal interaction, the insider "tips" on restaurants and special off-the-beaten path excursions and all of that was lacking.

However, I would like to give a nod to Eddi for being gracious to allow me to use the freezer in the main floor. I am breastfeeding (this trip was our first getaway as a couple since having our son) and was pumping throughout our stay in Hawaii. I had given her a heads up before our stay to ensure that there would be space for me to keep my frozen breast milk. As the Palmwood was our final stay, I had over 1.5 gallons of milk stored and needed to keep it and the ice packs that I used frozen, particularly for our 12 hour trip back to Boston. Eddi let me know that I could use the main freezer if needed via email and put a special note on our welcome paper reiterating this. I mostly stored milk in the shared guest mini-fridge/freezer in the BBQ area, but it had inconsistent temperature zones (as is common in mini-fridges) and didn't keep milk firmly frozen, so I moved everything to the host freezer the day before our departure and returned in the early evening after we had checked out to pick it up immediately before our evening flight. This is clearly not something many travelers will be concerned with but did help me feel better about our otherwise limited interactions.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AlisaAAM
Reviewed 28 March 2017

We couldn't be happier with our stay at The Palmwood. Wonderful location, gorgeous views. Quiet, serene. Loved the East Room. And the breakfasts...AMAZING. Could not recommend staying at this property more.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilauea
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Makai Club Resort
#1 of 1 in Princeville
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to The Palmwood? Share your experiences!