“Fantastic Experience”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This was an incredible experience. The helicopter trip was just the two of us and the pilot Ian who was helpful and very informative. Just when you thought the island could not get anymore beautiful, it did! I highly recommend this company and trip. Much of the island is inaccessible so the only way to really see it is by air.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“A nice personal trip”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I looked a lot of different companies for a helicopter tour and decided on Mauna Loa based on the TA reviews as well as the fact that they run with the doors off, which was something we were looking for, and there are only a few companies doing that. Going doors off definitely made it a very unique experience. You could feel and smell the clouds and moisture in the air while flying around, not to mention it gave great opportunities for picture taking. Our pilot was very nice and made sure to key us in on the things worth seeing below. I booked with just my wife and I and it was just the two of us on the helicpoter with the pilot, so it definitely felt like a personal tour.

As one would imagine, the doors off did make it very windy and with the clouds holding moisture, you get a touch damp but nothing I couldnt manage. Looking at some of the other bigger helicopters, it seems like this is definitely the best view out with both of us having window seats. Highly recommended tour.

1 Thank Brian K
Victoria
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“An amazing experience!!!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

After calling around to a number of different companies, all of which told us they could not guarantee us a window seat, we decided to call Mauna Loa. We were very pleased when we were told we would definitely have a window seat, and not be crammed in between people. On the day of our flight we checked into the office, and were greeted by very friendly staff members, Dori and Jim. They were great. Once at the airport we met our pilot, Kevin, who was fantastic as well, very friendly, informative, we felt safe in his hands. The flight was absolutely amazing and beautiful. It is an experience not to be missed! The helicopter was roomy, seats were very comfotable, we loved the Eddie Vedder/Pearl jam on the playlist, and best of all was the doors off option, it was awesome!

1 Thank lellybean
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“You must use Mauna Loa Heli...”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Amazing service & if you go to Kauai, you must take a heli tour - I would highly recommend this operator. They have 4 seat (ie. pilot+3 passenger seats) helicopters which means everyone gets a great window view. For no extra cost they will fly with 2 pasengers, ie. our own private heli tour for myself, my fiance & our pilot.

You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank Brett7777
toronto
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Safest, most enjoyable heli ride and best value for your money!!!”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

After searching for months for the BEST helicopter experience in Kauai, We're so glad that we've found Mauna Loa! They have 'private tours', not just rides---1 sits beside the pilot in the front and 2 sit side-by-side in the back and everybody gets a window seat---minimum # of passengers is 2 and they won't stick a stranger in the heli with you, thus the 'private tour'! Talking abt. indulgence when their prices per person are in line with the other companies that might stuff up to 6 passengers in one heli! In our case, with my husband sitting in the front, our son, the amateur photog sitting in the back with the doors-off, was able to take amazing pics both left and right! How could you beat that?!!
Just like everyone, safety is our main concern and Manua Loa, as well as being a well-known heli school on 3 Hawaiian Islands, adheres to the highest standard! While our family was only at Kauai for 2 days and they bent over backward to accommodate us, not a moment did they compromised safety and they would only fly when they are 100% sure that the weather would allow it. Therefore, it's best to reserve the flight for your first day on the island and book your other activities after the flight. With countless boat operators, we were able to book a sunset cruise to Na Pali on a spur of moment, no problemo!
Oh yes, the views---they are out of this world! My daughter and I, our mouths agape, almost forgot to take videos and pics! Even though I'm not fond of heights, at no time did I feel nervous during the flight with the doors-off---that's how skillful and steady the Mauna Loa pilots are! Our pilot even spotted a wild pig and he circled around it to give us a closer look!
Another thing—impeccable service! I’ve call them, email them countless times before I made my decision to fly with them and even after I booked, I asked them umpteenth questions, right up to our flights. They were prompt with answers and very courteous and professional at all time. We even took their advice on what else to do on Kauai and had a grand ol’ time during our short stay there!
All in all, our flawless heli 'private tours' is the main reason why Kauai is our all-time fav Hawaiian island! Wish I could go back right now and ride that heli once more! :)

4 Thank Quafadeli