Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Toronto, Canada
“Very lovely”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We spent 9 nights at the Lodge in August 2011 and it was one of the best resorts I've stayed so far. I must mention that the hotel was not fully booked. I am extremely demanding when it comes to service, decor and travel in general. Even if I wanted to find something negative about the resort I would fail. The staff was excellent, in few days of our stay most of staff referred to us by the last name including the swimming pool staff. The room was very cozy and comfortable. Each evening they had nightly entertainment. I loved the piano - Louis Armstrong songs and the fire place in the Great Hall room were perfect. Try to explore the Island. It might not seem to be welcoming at first but give it a day or two and I am sure you will fall in love with Lanai and it's unique atmosphere. I loved Garden of Gods which I reached by the bike alone. Don't recommend you to repeat the act. It took me 3.5 hours of riding the bike off road. Also there are no people around so might get slightly uncomfortable. I didn’t see anyone during my trip. The forest you have to pass on the way to the Garden of Gods is rather surreal too so get a partner for this trip! You can also take a ferry to Maui. I believe it was $120 per two people both ways. If you make it to Maui take the helicopter tour which takes you to Molokai - unforgettable experience. Make sure to explore the back gardens of the Lodge - the trees are unique and tranquility is impressive. Go for a walk at the evening and enjoy the small outdoor fire. The weather was perfect in August but it also suppose to be the warmest month. Even though I was happy to have a light jacket in the mornings. There is also a bus shuttle that runs on schedule to the sister resort on the beach. If I was to choose between the Lodge and the beach Four Seasons property I would definitely stay again at the Lodge if the purpose of my trip was to relax and spoil myself a bit. Also if you are trying to get away from someone’s kids on vacation - this is the place. During our stay we did not see a single kid at the Lodge!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Lodge (Jan 25 - 27) and loved it. We spent 3 nights in Honolulu, then the 3 nights on Lanai, then 4 nights in Maui and we both agreed the time in Lanai was the best part of our trip. It is elegant, serene, friendly, and I feel that Lanai is more "authentically Hawaiian" than the other islands that are now much more commercialized.

When we arrived on Lanai, at first we were disappointed because on the ride from the Airport to the Lodge, the land is dry and arid and really not very pretty. I read where they get 4 inches of rain per year in the low lying areas. However, as you go up the hill to the Lodge, it starts getting "greener". The Lodge has beautiful grounds that allows for nice walks. Each day, we took the shuttle to Manelle Bay for the beautiful beach and pool there. One of the most beautiful beach settings I have seen. The beach here is listed as one of the top in Hawaii. There was great snorkeling there and all the beach chairs, pool chairs and snorkeling equipment are complimentary. There were probably 75 people there at the beach and at the pool - that's it- so you felt like you had the place to yourself. At first we thought perhaps we should have stayed at Manelle Bay, but ended up thinking we liked staying at the Lodge best. The only thing I did wrong was not stay longer. I was originally going to stay 6 days but some reservation agent told me there was nothing to do in Lanai so I would get bored, so I changed it to 3. (At that Lodge, they had a deal where you pay for 2 nights and get 3rd night free.) However, if you like a great beach, pool, beautiful surroundings, and to be pampered, you won't be bored.

We did not eat at either resort. I had read that the food was very expensive and not that great. So we ate dinner twice at the Lanai City Grill and it was excellent (but also not cheap) and one night at Pele's which was very good. We had breakfast at Blue Ginger in Lanai City which was okay but at least not expensive.

I would recommend this place because accommodations like this on another island in Hawaii would cost 3 times as much. When we moved to Maui, we were disappointed and wished we were back on Lanai. Maui is now very crowded and built up, plus our accomodations there were not nearly as nice as at the Lodge. We will definitely go back and stay longer.

If you are there on a Saturday, the locals gather in front of the Lanai Hotel where they sell their produce and different foods that they have prepared. It is a great place to get an authentically Hawaiian meal at a cheap price, plus it is fun to talk with the locals.

As far as I am concerned, the Lodge is the best value in Hawaii.

Room Tip: We got the cheapest room and it was very nice. I don't like brown and beige and our room was bl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The perfect get away on the small intimate island of Lanai. A beautiful resort with luxury amenities, spectacular landscaping and lots to do both indoors and outdoors. The lobby is a great room with beautiful furnishings and fireplaces where you can enjoy a drink, take in some live entertainment or just hang out with friends. One of my favorite rooms is the Library which has big leather chairs or, if you prefer, a sofa in front of the fireplace. You can have a relaxing afternoon snuggled up with a blanket and good book. Can wait to return to The Lodge at Koele for my annual weekend get away.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Alberta CAnada
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Beautiful gardens and orchid house on premises. Very relaxing and comfortable. Excellent staff. always helpful when asked questions about other places to eat on the Island.

Room Tip: Don't know if there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 February 2012

For 8 years we have been traveling to the Big Island and Maui, and watched both islands get busier and busier. Longing for a quiet vacation, we finally "discovered" Lanai, and were very pleased. My husband and I spent 7 days at the Lodge at Koele, and were glad that we did because it is much more quiet, and the clientele appear to be more mature and low keyed than Manele. We did make one day trip to Manele Bay and true to most reviews, that is where the younger, more energetic crowd is. We had a flashback of Maui and quickly took the shuttle back to the mountains. The best thing about Koele is how quiet it is, and how time just seems to stop. We spent days just walking around the hotel grounds, lounging by the pool, and taking strolls through Lanai City.

On the first 6 nights we stayed in a Garden Deluxe Room. It was very comfortable, clean, and adequate. Guests at this hotel are early risers, and every morning we hear shuffling in adjacent rooms, starting at 6am. Not a problem, since the hotel is very quiet in the evenings, which allows us to get to sleep very early. It appears that the difference between the Garden Deluxe and the Garden is the location. The Garden faces outside the hotel, and the Deluxe faces inside. Both are the same size and layout and have good views. Both day and evening Housekeeping were polite and did a great job. We love the L'Occitane products.

On the 7th day, a wedding party checked in downstairs from us - it was a bridesmaid party that sounded like an entire sorority house. We asked the front desk if we could change rooms, and they moved us to a Koele Deluxe room. These are basically corner rooms that have panoramic windows. We got room 354, which had a nice view of the stables in front of the hotel, and the sunset. The view was amazing, but we had problems with ants and mosquitoes. There was a hole next to the mini bar where a trail of ants kept coming in, and there was an overhead flood light at the room entry way where the mosquitoes congregate. Every time the room door opened, the mosquitoes came rushing into the room. We spent our last night exterminating mosquitoes and ants and didn't get any sleep.

The breakfast at the Terrace was amazing every morning. The waitress Espe was a sweetheart and very nice to converse with. The food and service were excellent. Coffee and juice were $5 and $7. Basic items like fruit, cereal, and yogurt were $9-$14. Hot food entrees like omelets, eggs, and potatoes were $18-$25. We really enjoyed the Paniolo Breakfast, which is Kahlua Pork, rice, Portuguese sausage, and eggs. The Koele Loco Moco was also very good, which is made with local venison. During one of our breakfasts we met Chef Junior Ulep who was a cool young chap, friendly, talkative, and likable. During the weekend there was another chef with a French accent, who came out to say hi and was also very nice.

The pool was quiet, clean, and the service was extremely attentive. The pool attendants Heidi and Kevin set up our chairs and brought out ice water constantly. The complimentary sunscreen (SPF30) had a pleasant citrus smell and was very creamy and easy to apply. Pool food service is available from 11am-5pm, so you can order drinks and food to be brought from the kitchen to the pool.

If there is one aspect of this hotel that we had to pick on, it was the front desk and the concierge. A few of the front desk ladies did not seem very keen to help on occasions when we stopped by. One time we asked the concierge for a map of the hiking trail (a blonde, young lady). She handed us the map without saying a word, and we walked away dumbfounded. I guess we just sort of expected some interest, or questions, or at least a smile.
Another time I stopped by the front desk because I had a problem with a computer in the trophy room. There was one lady at the front desk, and she was on the phone. During the 5 minutes I stood in front of her, she made no acknowledgement of my existence and no effort to speed up the call. Finally two ladies emerged from the back office and proceeded to help the gentleman BEHIND me. I told them that I was there first, and they actually didn't even apologize. It was the gentleman behind me who apologized to me, saying that he thought I was already being helped by the lady on the phone (the same one who had ignored me). No problem, since this is just a small portion of the trip.

We will definitely return to Lanai, and stay at the Lodge. It's a great place for couples looking for a quiet retreat. Thanks again to Heidi, Kevin, Espe, Junior, and the entire housekeeping staff for the exceptional service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the resort have a more enclosed feel. Rooms facing the outside have view...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
28.2 km away
Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#1 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!