“You get what you pay for.”
Review of Joe's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Joe's Place
Ranked #9 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hana
Reviewed 17 September 2015

Resident Manager was great. Room was clean. Hana is/was very humid. The room came with a ceiling fan that didn't do much good. The window screens were torn and several glass louvers were missing. The community fridge smelled like fish. There is a community family room with a television but we didn't use it. Not sure if I would stay there again. I would try to find a place with air conditioning but from what I have found, there are only 3 places in Hana that come with a/c. These places are $200+ per night with a 2 or 3 night minimum stay. Not even the Hotel Hana Maui has a/c.

Room Tip: If you decided to stay here, book the 1 room with a bathroom and shower. All other rooms use a comm...
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 July 2015

Without any doubt the worst place i've ever been in my life. Horrific, absolutely filthy and dangerous! Bugs everywhere! Under the bed in the matress, on the walls. A horde of ants will eat whatever is edible in your luggage or at least they'll explore it. Hana is almost a ghost town with just a restaurant that shuts at 8 pm, this is the reason why you could choose to cook your own food. That's what i tried to do but as soon as i was going to heat some beans, a huge rat came out from behind the microwave. This is the case to say: "you pay to get a disease" and not "you get what you paid for". This place is the hell in Hana and his owner is worse than the place itself...grumpy, mean, unpleasant and very very cranky. BEWARE!!! Is better sleeping in a tent on the beach or in your own car!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Daltaniux
Reviewed 27 June 2015

I stayed there for one night last March. I decided to go to the cheapest place I could find in Hana... well I got what I paid for. I had a comfortable king bed with clean linens and a clean bathroom with a few dead bugs. There were a few geckos on the kitchen wall, but they were really cute and they were not in the rooms upstairs. I had a great day driving the highway to Hana and a good night in Maui, who am I to complain? This is the only place available in Hana for budget travellers or backpackers. Now that being said, if your rental car is big enough for you to sleep in it, you might want to consider that!

There is no internet so make sure you don't need to look up where you need to go the next day. Buy food for your dinner and breakfast ahead of time.

I asked for directions for the red sand beach and ate my breakfast there, it was paradise :) Then I drove to Hamoa beach and played in the waves. I had the beach to myself at 9am. Paradise I tell you!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank WanderlustYukon
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Where to start? Very dumpy from the start but it was a good price in a place with few options and I was traveling with a woman that had never camped. What a bad idea. I've seen far less bugs camping. The furniture in the common areas looks like a heard of Great Danes once inhabited it. Loads of ants and cockroaches in the kitchen area. We slept with the light on and pulled the bed away from the wall so that all the roaches all over our walls couldn't get in bed with us easily. Worst sleep I've had in a very long time. In the morning as I sat eating my cereal in the common room, joe comes in yelling at me because I didn't shut the door all the way. He had the nerve to say he spends a lot of money to keep the bugs out. I wanted to grab him by his fat face and walk him to my room where there were one inch gaps around all the screens on the windows. I wanted to ask him if the scotch tape he tried to seal one of the gaps with was where he sunk all that money. As we were going down the road later we recalled something joe said when we checked in "I want to tell you what to do with the key now because everyone always leaves so early and I don't want knocks on my door at 6 am." Haha really should have spent the $60 bucks on a tent.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bergnes
Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

Joes place is more like a hostel, you get a private room with shared common areas and for only $50 a night and being right next to hana bay, you shouldnt ask for anything more. The lenin and towels are clean.if you want a better place then you have to pay for it but I'll worn you now, getting a room at the hana hotel for $600/NIGHT and you're still gonna see a bug or two,this is the Tropics! Maui is expensive. This is the cheapest accommodations you're going to find.if you want some uppity fancy place, why would you pay for the cheapest place there is? My husband and I live on island and stay here when we come to hana. We bring our laptop so we can watch movies in our room and go out to eat at various restaurants in town. We like it here.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
0.4 km away
0.8 km away
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
#2 of 2 in Hana

Been to Joe's Place? Share your experiences!