US$568
US$319
US$809
US$549
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$613/night.

US$404
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
US$482
US$469
Hyatt.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$523/night.

US$454
US$433
US$391
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$450/night.

US$178
US$149
US$559
US$525
Fairmont.com
US$474
US$459
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Joe's place exceeded our expectations. We got the room with the private bath for $65 a night. (great deal for Hawaii) This is a house with a bunch of rooms. The rooms and house were clean and it was fun to talk with the other travelers from Europe and Canada in the common kitchen and living room. Bring some food with you to cook. Dinning options are limited and expensive in Hana..

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2009

You cannot find a better bargain in picturesque Hana. For around $55 you get a private room in a quiet house with all linens, towels and sheets, and guest soap provided. Stop and pick up food in Kahului before driving out because there is no supermarket, just a small store in Hana. Ed can give you a map of the town so you can find the store. Joe's Place has a full kitchen with coffeemaker, rice-maker, and other appliances for cooking. A sitting area on the front porch provides a view of the shore where you can enjoy the evening breeze. There is a large TV and a game room for your enjoyment in case of bad weather.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bontraj
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Stayed one night in the ensuite room, #8. No problems at all, just a bit scruffy. Comfortable bed, clean linen, towels and soap provided.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MTLUK
Reviewed 22 April 2009

So "basic" would be overstating things a bit. We had two rooms at Joe's and stayed one night. Surprisingly, it was the only place in Hana that would return our calls/emails. This was supposedly the end of the high season, in an off-year for tourism, but no one else wanted our money. Hana itself would be worth the visit if the locals didn't try to kill you on the road into town. But I digress.

Our two rooms were pretty simple, but clean enough. However, none of the windows closed. Luckily this is on Maui, so it wasn't cold enough to be a problem. It was pretty windy though, and the curtains were blowing into the rooms all night. The screens were in good shape, so we didn't have to worry about mosquitoes getting in. We didn't hear any dogs, as mentioned in another review. It was a quiet night and we all slept well.

One of the two bathrooms upstairs didn't have a working light. Otherwise the shared bathrooms were usable.

However, the real surprise came in the morning. This hostel has a kitchen shared by everyone. My wife went downstairs first to make some quick breakfast before she went for a run. She came back up with a panicked look in her eyes and whispered to me "You have to do something before Mom goes down there. There are two huge cockroaches hiding under the toaster. I think there might be hundreds down there!!" Her mom and dad were staying with us.

Well, there were only three cockroaches that I found. I killed them, so I'm sure it's now safe for everyone else who visits (wink, wink). And yes, they were full-grown cockroaches. I can't recommend staying here with your mother-in-law, even if it's your wife that made the reservations.

There were eight parking spaces (for eight rooms), and the location is OK, particularly if it's the only place that returns your calls.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I made the agregious mistake of saying "Hey" on the phone when I called. "HEY" is how we say hello where I live and apparently very much taboo with this guy as when I arrived he stated in a heated, gruff, nasty tone that I had called him "HEY" 3 times and his 1st name was not "HEY" I politely explained to him that is how we say "HELLO". His next response was as terse so my gal and I left. This guy needs to get a clue how to be an Inn Keeper or whatever he does there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple