“Pretty Rough”
Review of Joe's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Joe's Place
Ranked #9 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hana
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Joes Place is great if you are looking for one or two nights cheap accommodation in Hana but it is VERY dilapidated and doesn't feel the cleanest. The guy who checked us in was lovely with good recommendations of where to go and eat. We shared a bathroo and had a bedroom with a double bed and a single for our toddler, there is no airconditioning and the fan wouldn't come on without the light being on so we took the bulb out. Parts of the building were falling apart. We had dinner at the steak house which was quite expensive for the size of the meals but they were very tasty and it was the only thing open other than the hotel restaurant. We had a nice cheap breakfast at the Barefoot Cafe by the beach and headed back to Kihei via the gravel road which was pretty easy and great to see the other side of the island. Joe's place is for sale but we would stay again if we were to visit that area again just because of the price.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room where the light is separate from the fan.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank bendy452

Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Joe's was a great place to stay when you need an extra day in Hana. It was clean, and very reasonably priced. It was definitely a family style hostel, with some private rooms, but a shared bathroom. Great location near the end of the road to Hana.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpmaui2020
Reviewed 29 December 2015

The rooms are decent and Ed gave us pointers on places to get dinner. I felt this was the most reasonable option in Hana. The toilet was also clean. The property is a bit old but still great. I would recommend

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tankz
Reviewed 21 November 2015

We visited Maui and planned for an overnight stay at Hana. We could not find any hotel for our overnight stay on such a short notice. Joe's place was the only option left for us. The place is very old. They have tried to maintain the room which is good. The bathroom was ok. Do not use kitchen there. Its very old and all the appliances are outdated. The place is very cheap when compared to other places in Hana which are way too expensive. Considering they stay for just a night, its not a very bad option.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2015 via mobile

I came to visit friends in Hana and was on a budget and Joe's seemed to be the only cheap option I could find. When I checked into my room on the first floor there were about 50-60 bugs on the walls and ceiling. The manager said it was from the ginger tree next to the window. I requested to be moved and so he moved me to a room upstairs. This new room only had a few bugs, which I expected because it is the tropics so I understand that there are going to be bugs anywhere. I killed as many as I could and fell asleep. The next nights were the same, I'd come back, kill some bugs, then fall asleep. Every night I came home to at least 1 huge cockroach, which I'm terrified by. My last night there was a gigantic cockroach in my room and I kept trying to kill it but it kept getting away. I also had a trail of ants coming into my room from the window, and I didn't have any open food anywhere in the room to attract the bugs. In a desperate state, I called the manager at 9 pm asking for bug spray and he yelled at me saying he was sleeping and we are in the tropics so there will be bugs. Very rude. I suggest putting bug spray in each room since bugs are clearly a big problem here.

When I woke up on my last day there were so many ants all over the room and bed that I had to run around the room packing my stuff as quickly as possible to get out of there and not spend any more time there than absolutely necessary. It was horrific. (Again, no open food.)

One of the windows in my room had absolutely no filter so bugs could come and go as they pleased. And the other window had a broken filter, so that wasn't much better.

The whole place is very dirty and old. Very run down and not well kept up. It could be drastically improved with just a few changes. I didn't even bother spending any time in the living room or kitchen because they are so nasty I couldn't bare looking at the filth, much less cook, eat, or hang out in that area.

I would never stay here again. I wish I had splurged on one of the nicer hotels or even a b&b. This place is really disgusting. Such a shame because it's a great location in a great town. Hana is incredible, but Joe's Place is terrible.

By far the grossest hotel/hostel I've ever been in.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Madmarz11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
0.4 km away
0.8 km away
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
#2 of 2 in Hana

Been to Joe's Place? Share your experiences!