“Fantastic experience ”

Wailele Polynesian Luau
Ranked #10 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: At Wailele Polynesian Luau dinner show, guests will embark on an exciting journey to the Polynesian Islands where dance was considered not just as a form of entertainment, but as a means of telling stories. Recognized for providing an award-winning experience, the luau is held oceanfront at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa and features dances and songs from old and modern Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand (Maori), Tonga and Samoa. Highlights include the story of Pele (Goddess of Fire), Hi'ilave Hula Awana dedicated to Wailele (meaning waterfalls) and Maui's most extreme fire knife dance finale called "Siva Afi". The unforgettable evening of fun, culture and entertainment is complemented by a traditional dinner served buffer style and selection of beverages.
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

No clue why anyone would give this luau anything less than five stars. Everything was absolutely perfect. We paid up for the premium seating closer to the front just to make sure my Autistic son would be sufficiently engaged. The earlier checkin was nice too and the service was amazing. I think our server's name was Jane (??) and she was always there with prompt refills of drinks (great, stuff cocktails, fantastic local beer & wine is included)....you definitely get your money's worth. And the food...was great. I can't imagine anyone thinking the food could be bland as some reviewers stated...well, except for the poi, being, well, poi. Everything was wonderful. The entertainment was absolutely amazing and the MC was great and took pics with my kids after. The added benefit was being right at our hotel and I had my doubts after reading all the negative reviews...but those folks are just crazy. It didn't rain, thankfully, but they even provide new plastic ponchos at the table just in case. Would totally do this again.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We went on thanksgiving this holiday weekend. I was told that there would be "normal" luau food, plus some extras for a "traditional" thanksgiving (aka turkey). To be absolutely clear on this, I waffled a bit, and called the concierge 3x to confirm this (regular traditional luau fare, plus some additional turkey and trimmings) before actually purchasing our tickets. Much to my dismay, when we finally got selected to go through the buffet line - it was pretty much ALL the traditional thanksgiving food and very few traditional luau foods - I nearly broke into tears, as we had been anticipating the luau style pork and poi and such for so long. And on top of that the turkey and pork loin they served was very dry (probably because they don't usually cook those foods). The fish was excellent, but I understand that one dish is on their regular menu.

We could have easily scheduled our luau for any other night of our trip, but since I was assured time and again by the concierge staff, we decided to celebrate our holiday at the luau. I won't make that mistake again.

Reading the other comments now, I agree that they did not do a traditional Hawaiian luau style, but they were trying to bring in a taste of all the Polynesian islands. The emcee was very good - I would say the one failing there is that he took too long with one single member of the audience and didn't really engage anyone else. The dancers were all good - high quality. The fire spinners were strong and exciting. The wait staff were great, at least in our table area (this is no small space for tables - and we had partial blocked view of much of the performance - I would not call this a "limited" size audience for this show) This rating gets 2 stars because the dancers/emcee/show itself was pretty good in Polynesian style and not Hawaiian style and I want to recognize the dancers and the staff who were working hard to make it all a good experience.

No pig ceremony. No attempts to get audience members to hula.

And they did seem to have weird timing and breaks throughout the show - for people to get their food and eat, yes, but it was all a bit disjoint as you didn't know when they'd be back so we felt like we needed to eat really quickly.

They also moved the dessert station to a different location so it wasn't intuitive, nor did I hear them say "go get dessert now" so I never even made it over to see what they had.

Overall, not the luau experience I wanted my family to have. At all.
Definitely overrated.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

This definitely was a mediocre Luau compared to various other ones we have attended in the past at other locations. There was no Kalua pork bring removed from below ground. Ceremonial piece was virtually non-existent. Except for the fire knives performance the show was rather boring. Premium seat purchasers had to eat their dinners under the rain. Parking fee of $25 was not validated. Definitely not worth the price.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The wife and I have been to several Luaus and were trying to decide which one to share with our older children during out recent (October 10-17 2017) stay. We decided on this one and am so glad we did. this is our third time seeing it and it still made us smile and laugh. The food was good and plentiful and the show is VERY entertaining for all ages. MAHALO and we will return again. Note, I always pay the extra for the VIP seating, SO worth it. assigned seats instead of mad dash, closer to the front and first dig into the buffet.

1  Thank moparman42
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

This show was spectacular! Absolutely stunning performance and the dancing was so beautiful. Definitely recommend if staying in Ka'anapali!