“Honeymoon in paradise!”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I stayed for 7 days and wish we had more time! We rented a car, which was a great way to see the island on our own. Maui truly is one of the most beautiful places in the world! The hotel was beautiful, you had the feel of old hawaii, which we loved. You can stay at a chain resort anywhere, we felt like this hotel was more authentic then any others that we saw. The hotel staff was amazing, so friendly and helpful, they truly want to make your stay a 5 star experience. We paid extra for valet parking, and my husband enjoyed the mai tais that came along with that! We ate at the hotel restaurant several times, as well as scoop for snacks and breakfast. The resort has 2 pools, and I thought the water was very refreshing. The beach is gorgeous, beautiful sunsets right from your balcony (we stayed in the tower). We were nervous after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor, but rest assured if you have booked this property you will have an amazing time.

Room Tip: Request a high floor in the tower, views are gorgeous!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenna B
There are newer reviews for Royal Lahaina Resort

Reviewed 27 February 2012

we stayed at the royal lahaina for 2 weeks in jan/feb on the 12th floor overlooking the ocean and it was spectacular! the atmosphere is very hawaiian, from the pineapple ice water in the lobby, to the beautiful decor of the rooms, and the warm and friendly staff. it is one of the smaller hotels and we chose it for that very reason. it has a more intimate feel and lacks the impersonality of the bigger hotels and that is a good thing! we love the beach and spent alot of time on the beach at the hotel - it was never crowded, unlike what we saw on other parts of kaanapali beach where the resorts were much larger. you get a towel card on check in and use it for beach towels each day at the activity centre. also rented snorkel gear there at a weekly rate. we could sit on our lanai for breakfast in the morning and see the whales! the housekeeping staff were always visible and quick to service our room when they saw us leaving and kept our room very clean, with fresh towels and bottles of toiletries each day.
we ate at basil tomatoes on our first night (after reading a great review on tripadvisor) and the food was amazing - delicious and fresh! loved it so much we ate there 5 times in our 2 week stay! (if you go between 5-6pm all food is half price - 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill and you have to pay cash - but so worth it! doesn't hurt to make a reservation as they fill up quickly in that hour). we also really enjoyed restaurants in whalers village; leilani's on the beach, cane & taro, and the hula grill - ate at all three more than once - so delicious! my husband and i agree we would go back to maui just for the food! i'm not typically a fish eater, but in maui it is so fresh and delicious i was converted! try the baja fish taco at the hula grill, also the kona coffee cheesecake was my fave! for breakfast we often picked up muffins, bagels & coffees at the royal scoop outside the lobby of the hotel. also went to a nearby farmers market for fresh pineapple, fruit, nachos and fresh salsa that we kept in the fridge in our room.
we chose not to rent a car for the whole time knowing that we would spend alot of our days on the beach, swimming, snorkeling, etc. we often walked into whalers village, or caught the free trolley, to eat, browse the shops or watch free evening shows. a special treat was dinner at the hula grill's barefoot bar one night when derek sebastian, a local professional ukulele player was performing! check his website for performances. also took the bus into lahaina a few times to eat and shop as well (fare is only $1). did rent a car for a couple days to drive to paia and hana (parking at the hotel is $10/day).
we were treated very well at the royal lahaina and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxed & romantic vacation. it may not be the most high end resort, but has good value and a very special atmosphere. we loved our stay at the royal lahaina and look forward to returning!

Room Tip: request a room on the top floors closer to the beach for a great view of the ocean and whalewatching...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ddjSaskatoon
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Just got married at the Royal Lahaina Resort. It was the best wedding I've ever been at and I wouldn't have changed a thing. Wedding planner Geraldine Quesada was very attentive and responded quickly to all my silly questions. I had my hair and make up done by Trisha Joseph in my room and she was fabulous. The minister Laki Kaahumanu came in his Hawaiin attire and put me at ease for the entire ceremony. The reception music duo of Marvin Tevaga on ukelele and ? on guitar (sorry I forgot his name) were amazing! He's on YouTube if you want to check him out. He should be singing full time for sure!!! American Idol competition!! The photographer Peter Thompson was out of this world. He brought a sense of humour along with his amazing talent. It helped with the spectacular view as well as whales jumping in the background during the sunset photos. I will never forget it.
The resort catered a steak and lobster tail wedding dinner which was delicious.
We had 20 family members join us and they all stayed at this resort. I can't believe some of the negative comments I read because I can't think of a single bad thing. Everyone was so impressed. Some relatives who came from Sweden (and very world travelled) said they will be coming back to this resort in 5 years....they loved it that much.
If we can afford it, we'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: Anything above 10th floor in the Tower will provide a great view
2  Thank mikeanddebbie77
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Love it, we got there before our room was ready, so we went to the sea breeze restaurant
We sat down looked up and a whale jumped out of the water, omg. Food was good room was awesome, everyne that worked there was kind. Beach was perfect, pool water was a little to cold for me, luau was good. But I have to say we went of a whale watching tour, I seen more from my balcony than on the tour. If you are going to want a chair at the beach, I say bring a small ne because they charge you 10.00 a day for the chair and bring all your snorkel stuff it can get expensive.

Room Tip: We had ocean front, can't go wrong
5  Thank Kimbuehrle
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Although this hotel is beautiful with great rooms the customer service is poor, to say the least. We did not know that there was a Luau available until we saw the sign. We found the customer relations department and made reservations. They have two pools available for guests but they are cold. The beach is not that great right at the hotel. I would definately call this hotel over rated for what you get. Our room was right over the drive where people come into the hotel to register. So it is very noisey. We could see the ocean but we had to look over the roof line. Not the best choice of rooms. The hotel provides robes in the rooms and free towels at the pool. They have a nice restaurant and bar on the main floor which you have to walk through in order to get to the pool. You have to pay for parking and the spots are very small. Watch for door dings on your rental car! Poor customer service to its guests.

Room Tip: Ask to stay above the 5th or 6th floor since there is NO 2nd floor.
1  Thank ImaWingBiker