Northshore Hostel Maui(Wailuku)(Great Value!)
US$79
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great value when you are on a very tight budget. And, its really important to be very careful with your valuables, not a safe environment. I suppose this is not unreasonable since it was so inexpensive. It detracted from the experience, but it was still great to find something so cheap on Maui

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank nitagage
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The building was an old plantation house. the cooking area is a more like an outside shack. the staff was friendly. Meet some of the males staying there. 3 were from mainland the other 2 were questionable. I think this is a cheap place for people with substance abuse problems. after one of them warned me to keep the noise down because of his headache. I quickly decided not to stay there a 2nd night. I don't ever want to stay there ever again. I'd rather pay 100 dollars to stay at the Maui Beach Hotel. Lower Main Street use to be a nice looking street. Not anymore.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GuestInHell
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I planned my trip only a few days before, so I looked up some hostels online. I only needed a place to sleep for three days and to rest during my day trips. When I arrived very early in the morning I went first to the wrong spot (the former hostel) but everybody was very helpful and carried my huge bags to the right address (Lower Main Street 1325). There Isaak, the manager already was waiting for me and I felt instantly welcome. Although I wasn't supposed to check in until 2pm, it was totally okay to already put my stuff in the room and have a shower. The staff was really going out of their way to give me rights to the bus stops and the airport. Since everybody is staying a bit longer here you have the feeling of home. there is always somebody who can give you some good advice on traveling budget wise and finding the best deals. The rooms are very clean and spacious. Towels and blankets are provided. The kitchen is small but does the job. And hanging out in the common room guaranties some interesting conversations with the long term stayers. I had a great time and can recommend the place. But if you are looking for a party place, that's the wrong spot - which agreed with me, since I wanted to get some sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
mopedcity, Manager at Moped City Maui Bed & Wheels, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
We appreciate your great review as we strive to make all of our visitors
comfortable, happy and feel right at home.

We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Maui.

Mahalo
Hostel Staff

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Management and staff are very helpful and genuinely care about their guests. Service was excellent. This was the quietest hostel for a good night's rest that I have experienced. The occupancy was a mixture of long term residents and short term vacationers. The owners are in the process of renovating, cleaning, and making improvements as they transition the property from long to short term rentals.

We stayed in a private room with a shared bathroom and kitchen. The suite had a nice layout with sleeping rooms arranged around the common kitchen area with full stove and refrigerator and bathroom with a toilet, sink, tub and shower. Fluffy towels, a roll of toilet paper, one sheet and clean blankets were provided, but not pillowcases. I would suggest bringing your own pillowcases and a sheet to cover yourself if desired. We used our towels for pillowcases. Had the room rate been cheaper, we would have stayed longer and purchased our own sheets and pillowcases and left them there. The room would have benefited from a good deep cleaning and a new mattress, or at least a mattress pad. There was no fan, nor air conditioning, and the windows did not open which was not a problem in January. The hot water heater in the bathroom was very small. The room had been freshly painted and there was a large TV and full length mirror in the room. We could have used a chair.

We originally chose Hostel City, a sister property, for the excellent location and the adjoining restaurant with good food and great breakfast specials. When we arrived at Hostel City, , we learned the reservation did not upload in their system since it was booked the same calendar day, and they had no rooms available. The manager kindly re-booked us at Moped City Maui, which is under the same ownership,and is located a 5 minute drive away in Wailuku.

It is important to book more than one calendar day in advance on the computer or if booking at the last minute, book by phone. We booked a room for 4 nights at Hostel City Maui based on the availability calendar on the website; the time of booking was just after midnight mountain standard time. We arrived at 2100 that same calendar day, which was more than 24 hours from the time of booking, and still experienced the upload delay. This might explain the difficulties expressed in some of the other reviews.

We stayed for one night, opting to move to Maui Beach Hotel for the remainder of our stay, which was nearly the same price on a regular night and was significantly less expensive on a lower occupancy night. We would have stayed at the hostel and happily tolerated the inconveniences if the price had been lower. Doubling the single person rate for the use of one bed and one room given current conditions seemed excessive. We were only charged for one night, although we had reserved four. The quality is OK for backpackers, surfers, college kids and the extreme budget traveler. I would not bring my parents there. There is room for improvement but they care about the place and the guests and I would expect better things in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain side are quiet at night and sheltered from traffic noise. There are birds and chickens clucking in the morning but you will find that everywhere on the islands. The walls are thin, and one can hear the alarm clock, conversations and cell phones ringing in adjoining rooms, but there is no traffic noise on the mountain side.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
mopedcity, Owner at Moped City Maui Bed & Wheels, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Aloha!
The private rooms on high season are $79.00 -$89.00 for 2 people. If you paid more then that please contact me at my office. We do NOT double prices its an added cost of $10.00
The reason for the added cost is to cover the utilities. Thank You for your review and I hope that you choose to stay with us again when you come back to Maui.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I´ve never had such a bad experience in a hostel.
I booked a private room, and it has nothing to do with a private room. It is only divided by a "wall" that doesn´t get to the ceiling.
When I got there the person in charge told me that I should go to another Hostel they have that was across the street as they had no availability (this was never clarified when I booked it via internet).
When I got there a very unskilled person of the hostel told me had no idea what room I had. He took over 5 rooms, and all of them where totally dirty, not prepared for the check in, and also some windows were broken! They expected me to sleep there. I went to talk to the owner, and she was very rude, she didn´t even gave me any explanation nor solution.
I finally got a private room that was too dirty, as the restrooms.
I would never recommend someone to stay at this hostel, I had an awful experience and I think owners should be ashamed of their service.
Moreover,I booked 2 nights but I only stayed one, and they told me they were going to charge me for one night. Now I can see in my credit card that they charged me two nights and they are not answering any of my emails or calls! Unbelievable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo