“Long Easy Hike”
Review of Aiea Loop Trail

Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Aiea
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Before you start walking, a huge suggestion: Walk the trail clockwise and park your vehicle at the lower parking where the trail exits back into the paved parking. Why? One trail head is at the top of the hill, the other trail head is towards the bottom of the hill. Park at the bottom and walk up to the trail head when you are fresh. Then when you exit the trail and are tired you are at your car and do not have to walk back up the hill to your car.

This is a relatively easy, aproximately 5 mile, mostly flat loop trail that takes 4+ hours depending on how fast you walk and how often you stop.
Make sure to take water and a snack, there is nothing to purchase.
There are lovely breathtaking overlooks as well as rain forests. Remember that this part of the island is rainy and it most likely will be muddy in places. Wear good hiking shoes so you don't slip, but still plan on getting some of the red clay mud on yourself, just part of the Aiea Loop Trail experience.
Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

2  Thank Captain J
"take your time"
in 11 reviews
in 43 reviews

Reviewed 13 June 2017

This trail seems a lot longer than it is advertised as. We took about 4 hours and there were parts that were very hard to get past due to the recent rains. Make sure you take along water and give yourself plenty of time. It is well worth the effort, we were just on a 'time line' and were not prepared for how long we were gone. I'd do it again in a heartbeat:) Semper fi, Paul

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Coming from the southwest desert, I was looking forward to hiking a 'rainforest''-like trail. I also enjoy geocaching and this trail holds the oldest one from Hawaii.

I made the mistake of going in the late afternoon, so I felt 'rushed' because I didn't want to get locked in after park hours (didn't know if they closed the gate or not). But even though it was at a slightly quicker pace than I wanted to do, it was amazing.

First, its the muddiest hike I've ever done (remember, I am from the southwest deserts of Arizona). Even with good hiking boots, it was slippery and lost my balance several times (but did not fall). I saw some people in sneakers so I wouldn't recommend that (since they had obvious signs of mud on their clothes from slipping).

The sounds and smells of this area were great. It was nice to be in nature and areas that get little to no sun. Yet some people still thought it was okay to bring music and play it out loud (on a speaker) as they hiked. Their loss!

I recommend this 4.8 mile loop trail that does cross a creek (rock scrambling) on the southern end of the loop before you come back to the parking lot). Other than it being muddy and humid, it's a good family hike!

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Went with my nephew here for a hike during the week. We started at the top of the hill parking lot where there is a monument for a World War II era aircraft that crashed into the mountain . Our goal was to find the wrecked aircraft which we did. The trail is well-maintained and easy to navigate but at times could be considered moderate difficulty.

1  Thank Scott S