“Leisure hike”
Review of Aiea Loop Trail

Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Aiea
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Excellent hike. Fresh air, lush landscape. Trail well maintained. Some trail areas uneven due to tree roots or erosion. Best when trail is not muddy, i.e. avoid going day after heavy rain or on rainy day.

1  Thank Gordon Melanie L
"muddy"
in 44 reviews
"clockwise"

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Definitely enjoyed this long hike. We stretched it out and did part of the summit trail which offered some great views. Then we made an offereing at the temple ruins on the way out. Lots of fun!

1  Thank Clint M
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Hiking this trail was on my bucket list for our family trip to Oahu because GC23 is located on the trail. This geocache was placed in July 2000 and is one of the oldest ones I've ever found. There is also an easy "History of Geocaching" near the end of the trail. We were short on time and my family opted to wait for me in the parking lot so I didn't hike the whole trail. I started at the "end" of the trail (down the steps from the large parking area) instead of starting at the "start" (by the bathrooms). The GPSr said it was only .2 miles away, but that's as the crow flies. It took me 38 minutes to hike out to the geocache and 22 minutes to hike back - I didn't do the entire loop trail. It was dry when I went. The cache itself is an ammo can secured to a tree. It's the history that makes it special.

3  Thank Jolene224
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Not really any stunning views, but some good ones. Nice walk through the forest. Looked for the downed bomber but never found it. Good moderate hike.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I've been going up to Aiea for over fifty years now. Started when I was maybe six or seven, visiting with the Honolulu YMCA and other summer programs, as well as on family outings. When I was younger it seemed like an impossible trek, but we kids always emerged triumphant and bragged to anyone who'd listen to our adventures of slogging through endless mud and avoiding the treacherous steep drops next to the trail.

It's actually an easy hike and pretty level most of the way. It's about 5.5 miles around. Plenty of kids do this hike, as mine did 12 years ago when they were 10 and 5 years old. Most of the trail is nicely shaded and all of it is beautiful and green.

It's often very muddy and you may well get rained on. Don't worry about it, just go with the flow. I've hiked it in pouring rain, barefoot and in swim trunks. Take old shoes, no hiking boots needed. I thought I was being clever years ago when I decided to take some end-stage tennis shoes and simply throw them away at the end of the hike. When I got to the trash can at the trail's end it was FULL of old muddy tennis shoes! LOL.

I always start at the top, near the bathroom shack. The trail ends further down the park road, so you'll have to walk back up to your car, maybe five minutes. A little steep, as is the last half mile or so of the trail itself.

A military plane crashed up there in 1945 or so, killing the crew. I've seen the small remaining section or two (right below the trail) on every visit, until this year. Maybe I just missed it, or it's been overgrown, or perhaps finally removed. There's a memorial plaque near the trailhead. It's worth stopping a moment to read and reflect upon.

If it's raining when you arrive, it may not last, so you can relax at one of the covered patios to wait it out, or just plunge on ahead into the wet muddy tropical haven.