“A Great Place for Comfort Food”
Review of The Fat Cat

The Fat Cat
Ranked #4 of 307 Restaurants in Quincy
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 19 August 2017

A former student of mine has a job in downtown Quincy, and even though I don't live far from that area, I am usually not around during lunch time (I work full-time as a professor). But during the summer, I get some time off, so I asked him for a suggestion. He said I'd probably enjoy the Fat Cat. He was right!

When you walk in, you notice that it's not a large venue, and it's quite noisy. But don't let that stop you. Once you are seated, you will find that the menu has a wonderful assortment of comfort foods-- onion rings, hand-cut fries, crab cakes, buffalo wings, burgers, nachos. We had a super-friendly server, and I asked what she would recommend: she said the lobster mac & cheese is a favorite, and I said I'd give it a try. Another great suggestion: the portion was HUGE (I can't imagine anyone finishing it), the lobster was tasty and the mac & cheese was creamy and delicious. My former student had the chicken mac & cheese, and he too said it was just great. Neither of us had room for dessert, but we were told the bread pudding and the creme brulée are worth trying.

Prices aren't cheap, but this is quality comfort food, so I wasn't really shocked; for what you were getting, the prices were reasonable. Also, parking can be a problem-- there is a lot nearby, and there's some on street parking but there is a lot of construction in the area, so you may need to drive around a bit before finding something. My only complaint was the noise level (there's a bar in addition to the restaurant; I don't drink, but I'm told it has a good assortment of beers and wine), but the food was so good that I'm eager to return and try other things. If you are in the downtown Quincy area, the Fat Cat is definitely worth a visit.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Lots of interesting choices for dinner - apps, entrees and sandwiches. Generous portions, reasonable prices, nice casual atmosphere. Cod in chowder was delicious - light, creamy broth with pieces of cod plus clams, fingerling potatoes, corn, cherry tomatoes. Pasta dishes, ribs also very good.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 25 July 2017

My husband and I went to eat dinner after work. We sat down and waited and finally the waitress comes whose name is "Trish" she asked if we wanted drinks. My husband asked for the hello kitty, she persistently kept advising us not to get the drinks off the menu because they were just full of sugar. However, he ordered the “hello kitty” and I ordered a Grey goose and cranberry, needless to say my husband finished the sugar down drink and continued to drink his ice water and eat appetizers. (wrong wings were given to us) and she never apologized for that. Trish came to the table when the entrees were presented, my husband asked for his 2nd sugar down drink “hello kitty” This little girl had the BALLS to tell my husband who is old enough to be her father that he needed to eats some more food before she could serve him another drink. We were not drunk loud or anything she JUDGE US by our looks. This girl needs to be trained to know when a customer is drunk or not…..she was very judgmental and discriminative. I will never go there again and I have already put my statements on social media. We asked for our check and left and we left the food as well.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank carlahowell42
Reviewed 24 July 2017

I've been to this restaurant several times and I can't say enough about it. The food tastes great and the portions are more than I can ever finish in one sitting. The lobster Mac n cheese is a personal favorite of mine and you can't go wrong with the nachos as well. Bring your appetite.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 24 July 2017

not fancy, but a lot of fun. this describes the ambiance and the food. give it a try. you will be glad you did.

Date of visit: July 2017

Been to The Fat Cat? Share your experiences!