“If the price is right I fully recommend it.”
Review of Cova Hotel

Cova Hotel
Ranked #101 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I'm going to start with the positives of this hotel. The rooms are lovely and roomy. I had a standard King Room which was very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and clean.

The daily breakfast was fantastic. You get cereals, toast, fruit, waffels, juices, spreads, boiled eggs, ham, tomatoes, cheese, coffee, tea, milk. I'm sure there was more but can't think of anything more. The breakfast room was located on the top floor with beautiful views of the city.

There is also a free shuttle to and from Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf.

The negatives of the hotel.
Check in took 25 minutes. I found this inacceptable. I work in the industry and you do not leave people that long when they are standing in front of you. There were two interuptions, someone internally was calling and the staff member was trying to fix a prior problem. I know this was probably important but he was attending to me. He should have finished with me and then fixed the other problem. It's called time management. The second problem I had with check in a homeless person came in speaking spanish to the guy that was checking me in. He stopped checking me in to talk to him, I don't know what they were saying as I don't speak Spanish, but he ended up giving the homeless man some change then continued to check me in. With all this should a paying customer come first?

The area. It's not the best area, but the hotel worker's do tell you where to avoid. It's not that bad. The actual block of the hotel is on is ok. You just have to be careful from the next block down. They advise you to walk a couple of blocks up to avoid it all. There is also the free shuttle if you didn't feel comfortable walking.

So overall I do recommend the hotel, I was just disapointed in the checkin. Not a good start but the rest of the stay was good.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AmandaJudd

Reviewed 25 April 2011

We did spend six wonderful days in San Francisco at the beginning of April. We did book our flights early 2010 and also the hotel, but ´cause of the other hotel (Vertigo in SF) bad pre-service we were forced to change our hotel only few days prior before our departure.

Since we were flying from Helsinki and it only took around 20 hours to arrive to hotel we were little bit scared of what we are going have. Amazingly hotel was everything what I was expecting for: friendly staff and happy faces. Joyce, member of staff, took care of my special request ´cause this trip was my wife birthday surprise and arranged little basket with sweets and salty to our room and let’s forget that champagne. Maybe the best thing was that they upgraded us to suite without any special request.

We totally loved our stay at Cova. And yes, the area is not actually so nice and attractive, but ´cause of the free shuttle bus to the Pier 39 and Union Square it was worth of stay and we mostly likely choose this hotel again, if we choose to go SF.

Thanks again for everything from the pick-up from airport, car rental service, transportation to Union Square and all the back to the airport.

Ps. Sorry for the keycards… we found those from our pockets back at Helsinki.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anttie
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I stumbled onto Cova through hotwire, not knowing what hotel I would get until I paid. Cova was a pleasant surprise. A Japanese-themed hotel, Cova has a boutique hotel feel to it, but without the pricetag. Beds are *very* comfortable, rooms are spacious (by SF standards) and there's even breakfast in the morning (although eggs were cold and selection was slim; but, hey, it was free!).

Free wifi, a business center and gym open 24/7. Nice rooftop balconies to eat at or bring up a drink to (assuming the *(&*@# fog hasn't rolled in).

The hotel is located in the Tenderloin, which isn't SF's most upscale district, but for me it was great as Glide Church is four blocks away, union square about 4, and everywhere else a less-than $10 cab ride. They also have a shuttle to Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. You just have to be smart about where you walk at night.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I had brought my bike and they stored it for me and also gave me tips yo avoid the expensive parking (the secret: If you come on Saturday, street parking is free from 6 p.m. through Sunday and, unlike other SF neighborhoods, you can actually find parking around there).

All in all, a pleasant surprise and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank bdaz1
Reviewed 18 April 2011

The hotel is in a bad area. The night is very dangerous to walk because there are many homeless people around them. This really is the worst neighborhood in San Francisco. In terms of services was not anything special. It even had a fridge in the room. Also the breakfast was very poor.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Loved the Cova Hotel. The staff were warm and delightful and the room clean. Would stay there again.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo