Cova Hotel
US$222
US$196
US$176
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$219/night.

US$257
US$236
  • Bar/Lounge
Chancellor Hotel on Union Square(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$179
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$218/night.

Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$196
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$222/night.

da Vinci Villa(San Francisco)
US$219
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$174
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$231/night.

Grand Hyatt San Francisco(San Francisco)
US$294
US$269
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$197
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$223/night.

US$143
US$136
Savings alert! 51% below average rates

The price you found is 51% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$279/night.

1,272 results
All reviewsfree shuttlehomeless peopleshuttle serviceellis streethotel shuttlegreat hotelwaffle machineunion squaretenderloin districtrooftop terracecomplimentary breakfasthard boiled eggsfisherman's wharfyogurttop floorthe hotel offersthe hotel is clean
Reviewed 23 February 2013

After reading reviews about the homeless near the hotel I thought can it be that bad. It was I'm afraid. The whole area is rammed with homeless. All streets around the cova have a problem. With two hostels/ soup kitchens within two blocks its very difficult to avoid. On arrival at the hotel the staff were very welcoming, first impressions were good. The staff showing you a map of the area and advising you to avoid the area to the right of the hotel was a little worrying. Room was nice, we were at the rear where it was quiet. It was warm and no air con but reception did say it gets warm so no problem. Continental breakfast was nice, plenty of choice. Gym was good, business centre was handy to print boarding pass. No charge for either. The hotel had a nice feel, modern and clean. Staff very friendly and helpful especially Latoya. If only if this hotel could be transported to another part of San Fran. Now I class myself as streetwise and not shocked by a few homeless but they did line the streets. You really have to walk past at least 20 or so sleeping on the hotel side of the road, opposite were even more and all roads to the right had more homeless. It was clear many had mental issues. Not just at night where it did make it a little uneasy but all day long. You really have to walk this way to get to the city centre. And please watch where u walk, that is not dog mess on the pavement. The area where we were advised not to go to, i did on Saturday morning. It was worse than I thought. Certainly not an area for young families.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gafferneil
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I researched the Cova on both Tripadvisor and Yelp and decided to make a reservation for my recent trip to San Francisco. Overall, my fiancee and I had a mostly great experience at Cova.

Pros:

Service - all of the staff members we interacted with were very friendly, helpful and professional. We had an incident the last night we were there with some very loud guests down the hall causing a disturbance in the wee hours of the morning. We called down to the front desk and they apologized for the noise and immediately came up and handled the situation. They also will call a taxi for you and have good recommendations for things to do around the city.

Value - We paid 109 a night for our room, which was a standard room with a king sized bed. Considering the prices of other hotels with much less amenities in San Francisco, I felt this was a great deal.

Amenities - Free wifi (which was surprisingly fast for a hotel), free continental breakfast which included whole apples and oranges, thick slices of whole wheat and white bread, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, cheeses, deli ham and turkey, tea and coffee, an assortment of dry cereals, milk and orange juice and a self serve waffle maker. They also have a nice little gym and a business center. The internet access isn't free in the business center, but it is free access and print off your boarding pass from your airline. Otherwise it is 25 cents a minute for internet access. It would be nice if they at least gave you 5 minutes for free to be able to print off other things like Alcatraz tickets or things of that nature.

Cleanliness - I felt that our room was clean as well as other parts of the building like the breakfast area, lobby, and business center.

Security - This was a pro, althought it was kind of annoying at times. You need to swipe your room card to access any floor in the building as well as the building its self after 10pm. This made me feel secure in the hotel, despite the sketchy neighborhood.

Shuttle - Although we didn't take advantage of this service, Cova offers an hourly shuttle to a few places like Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. Space is limited so you want to call down to the desk to make a reservation for the shuttle. Its a nice alternative if you don't have a car, don't want to take public transit, or a taxi.

Cons:

Neighboorhood - I knew ahead of time that it wasn't a great neighborhood, but understood that it wasn't particularly dangerous inside the hotel. If you want to be able to explore the area around your hotel at night (or any time really) without being approached by a homeless person, this is not the hotel for you. We had a car and planned to not spend much time at the hotel so the neighborhood wasn't much of an issue. We did have an incident of someone setting off very loud fireworks outside the building across the street in the middle of the night. We woke up thinking it was gun fire! Thankfully it wasn't, but it was quite the scare for a few moments.

Building issues - The building itself has some features that don't appear to be up to building code. The ceilings are pretty low in the hallway, and there doesn't seem to be any ventilation at all in the hallway. There was always a bit of an odd smell walking down the hall which smelled like stale air. The rooms also have strange HVAC issues. Most people wouldn't notice this, but my fiancee is an HVAC engineer and noticed it right away. The balcony sliding door always steamed up when we took a shower, so it was pretty noticable.

Parking - Parking is discounted by staying at the hotel, and we didn't have an issue with it really. It is convienent for us and the attendants were all pretty nice. The only issue I had was that it was valet only and was a seperate company, not associated with the hotel. I would have liked the option to self park, but its a minor complaint. We also had to hold onto a blue ticket for the duration of our stay and present it everytime we wanted our car. This is fine but it became a little hard to keep track of. We did end up losing it, but the attendant was nice about it and gave us a "replacement" ticket (a sticky note with our number on it).

Overall, I would stay at the Cova again. We had a great time!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Ellis Street are probably quieter. Don't walk around the neighborhood by yourself.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsDeebs
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Central location, nice hotel, nice rooms, parking at a reasonable fee, breakfast included. The only problem is the neighborhood: homeless people, people using marijuana at daylight time. Just need to be careful when walking around the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 29 January 2013

You get what you pay for at the Cova, At best It's an OK hotel, a few of the staff need to sue the charm school, not sure what continent the continental breakfast comes from, the only hot thing on the menu is the toast if you have the patience to wait for it to go round the conveyer a few times!.. the bathroom had lovely piping hot water, the beds were the most comfertable I've ever slept in, the Cova is very close to Union square and the cable car stop for fishermans wharf.
Would I stay there again? Yes I would.

The area however is a real eye opener, I wouldnt like to be on those streets after dark, ladies were offering their company at $10!!! and the constant cry of "can you spare some change" is still ringing in my ears..I travelled with my adult son, as such it wasnt so bad, I certainly wouldnt have liked to arrive there with a young family..overall the Cova is fine but i recommend you use taxis or the hotel shuttle when comming and going from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank leight4590
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Me, my mom and sister were planning a girls trip to San Francisco but when we searched for hotels, they were all very expensive. We were ready to give up when my sister found the Cova and it was a great value. At first we were reluctant to book it because of the area it's in but my sister was told by the hotel staff when booking that there are some homeless people around Tenderloin but they are harmless. We were glad that we did book with them. The staff is very friendly and accommodating to your needs. They offer free shuttle to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. Union Square is also walking distance which is nice if you don't want to wait for the shuttle. They offer free breakfast which was nice because we saved money everyday not having to buy it. The hotel has free wifi which worked very well. The rooms were spacious and modern looking even though it's an older hotel. If we needed extra towels or toiletries, the cleaning staff was very accommodating. The front desk staff was also very informative on attractions, tours and restaurants to visit. There was a gym which came in very handy every morning. The hotel is very safe as you need your room key to use the elevator and the rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family