“Enjoyable Visit”

Cova Hotel
Ranked #105 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I like this hotel. The are is interesting, though I did not have a problem. I did walk to the nearby market at night and all was well. The bed was nice (big requirement for me), the staff was extremely accommodating - Michael really made my stay special. I usually stay in 5 star resorts when I travel for work - this is not a 5 star - however I enjoyed the visit and will choose The Cova again when I am in town.

Room Tip: This hotel has a great shuttle service to local places, very helpful on a budget.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Kim B

Reviewed 28 February 2013

We enjoyed our stay at COVA. We didn't spend much time in the room, but the bed was comfy and room was nice. The breakfast wasn't great and the elevators were annoyingly slow. Location wasn't bad. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Stephtesscam
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My daughter booked us here because it was in walking distance of her classes, had a separate bedroom for the baby and the homeless was not supposed to be a problem. Boy was she misled! The walls were so thin you could hear the sirens all night. I never felt safe. Staff was not unfriendly but not friendly either. Not professional at all. You walk outside and the stench of the homeless is overwhelming. I will pay next time so I do not have to stay in this type of neighborhood. Thank God we made it out of there alive.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. No reason to. contrary to popular belief it is not safe.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CathyB2
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We initially chose this hotel for its moderate rate (as far as San Francisco goes) and amenities. Don't be scared off by its location in the Tenderloin District. We took the hotel shuttle to Pier 39 (Fisherman's Wharf) and walked around sightseeing, picked up City passes and used the Muni transportation pass to get around the city. Not sure if our room was so spacious because it was handicapped-accessible or if all rooms are that large, but the four in our party had more than senough room. Beds were VERY comfortable with great pillows and linens and nice shampoos, etc. The breakfast was unusual in that in addition to usual breakfast fare, it included good bakery bread and sliced cheeses, turkey, ham and other sandwich makings. Large breakfast room and an outside rooftop eating area that provided a city view.
Every person at the front desk during our three day stay was helpful and friendly. Special thanks to Mark, the shuttle driver, who came up with free VIP passes for us to the "Gitl With the Pearl Earring" exhibit at the DeYoung Museum.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank bigsky55
Reviewed 23 February 2013

After reading reviews about the homeless near the hotel I thought can it be that bad. It was I'm afraid. The whole area is rammed with homeless. All streets around the cova have a problem. With two hostels/ soup kitchens within two blocks its very difficult to avoid. On arrival at the hotel the staff were very welcoming, first impressions were good. The staff showing you a map of the area and advising you to avoid the area to the right of the hotel was a little worrying. Room was nice, we were at the rear where it was quiet. It was warm and no air con but reception did say it gets warm so no problem. Continental breakfast was nice, plenty of choice. Gym was good, business centre was handy to print boarding pass. No charge for either. The hotel had a nice feel, modern and clean. Staff very friendly and helpful especially Latoya. If only if this hotel could be transported to another part of San Fran. Now I class myself as streetwise and not shocked by a few homeless but they did line the streets. You really have to walk past at least 20 or so sleeping on the hotel side of the road, opposite were even more and all roads to the right had more homeless. It was clear many had mental issues. Not just at night where it did make it a little uneasy but all day long. You really have to walk this way to get to the city centre. And please watch where u walk, that is not dog mess on the pavement. The area where we were advised not to go to, i did on Saturday morning. It was worse than I thought. Certainly not an area for young families.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family