“Really fun place to go”
Review of Tadich Grill

Tadich Grill
Ranked #29 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Reviewed 23 November 2016

My husband and I could not wait to go back to this restaurant (but, of course, we HAD to wait when we got there). It was a busy Saturday night just about 8:00pm and the restaurant was packed. The wait for a table would be about an hour, however the waiter told us if we could wait for the bar it would not take that long. So we did. The other people standing there were in no hurry so it seemed. They graciously pointed out to us that a couple had just paid their bill and were getting up to leave.t Thus we were seated immediately. We ordered our drinks and looked over the menu. It was quite a shock! The prices of the food were extreme to us. In past years - five or six - the prices were not nearly that way. My husband settled for a César salad with anchovies on the side, as well as a Hang town Fry. I ordered a cup of Boston Clam Chowder and an avocado and lettuce salad. While the soup was delicious (the best), the salad was a big disappointment. It was not even close to being worth money that was asked for. ( I had wanted a shrimp Louie on Avocado, but the $35,00 price was too much, so I opted for the lesser entry. Too bad!) With only a drink each and the food we left Tadich Grill paying over $100.00. I have to say, that in general the food there is usually quite good and a Foodie treat. We just weren't able to enjoy what we would have rather ordered due to the very enormous price tag. Would we go there again? Perhaps on a special occasion. The wait staff were very gracious and accommodating, but were also quite busy with so many guests

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Nice time with close friends and very good food. Semi private tables/booths available if you ask. Had the abalone...very good, though served as 3 relatively small pieces. My wife had the lobster which was probably the largest tail she's had. Nicely prepared. Our friends had the ginger halibut (very very fragrant and strong flavored, so be sure you're a ginger lover) and the Dungeness crab sauté. The sauté was wonderful and we were all dabbing our sourdough bread on his plate before it was all over. A long time SF landmark that I hadn't visited in almost 25 years, the Tadich didn't disappoint.

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Every time I've dined here I have had professional service and an excellent meal. This last time we were in a hurry to see a show so only had time for a drink and dinner.

I had the crab and lobster casserole and it was excellent. They don't skimp on ingredients-instead it was full of crab and lobster meat.

My husband had the calamari steak and it too was very good (although I would have had modified it to be Oscar).

Two dinner no sides but added tip was over $100. But hey this is SF.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

I visited this traditional San Franciscan restaurant with a group of fellow foodies on the recommendation of one of our party, who raved about it beforehand. We sneaked out of our conference early, since they don't take reservations, and managed to arrive just before 12 on a Friday lunchtime. As the oldest restaurant in California, according to its claims, it is remarkably atmospheric, all wood-panelled booths, white-coated waiters and a bustling central bar. Our waiter was excellent - a great mix of helpful advice, joviality, friendliness and efficient service - he certainly deserved his tip.

The menu was extensive, majoring on the fish, but with meat dishes too for fish-haters. We all, bar one, went for the restaurant's trademark "cioppino" or seafood stew and it was truly magnificent: flavoursome, juicy, fresh, tomatoey... everything yo could want and more. The garlic bread that came with it was sublime too. The portions are huge, so don't go overboard on the (delicious) bread or starters beforehand - you won't need them.

One of our party couldn't resist a dessert and opted for the rice pudding, but what turned up was a far cry for the skin-encrusted rice puddings of my English childhood. This was a cross between a crème caramel and a Spanish flan with a fine layer of tender rice at the bottom, all flavoured with a hint of lemon, nutmeg and cinnamon (if my memory serves me correctly). Quite a revelation. Our charming waiter had brought five spoons and my colleague kindly encouraged us all to dip in - heaven!

All in all, an excellent lunch, backed up with outstanding service. It's not cheap, but the food was worth every cent and deserves its excellent reputation.

Reviewed 18 November 2016

Had dinner here on a Saturday night and the place was heaving. They don't take reservations, but have a very nice bar you can hang out in. The bar gets very busy, but the staff are real characters and the atmosphere makes the wait worthwhile.The fish and shell fish were incredibly fresh and our waitress seemed very knowledgeable about the wine list.