“WOW”

Saru Sushi Bar
Ranked #755 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Tiny spot with a great idea for reservations: you get on the list (you must be close by) and then they text you when a table is ready. Why can't other restaurants figure this out?
From the exotic fishes to rolls this is some of the best sushi I have ever had, and the atmosphere is not over loaded with glitz, glam and obnoxious music. This is pricey, so if all sushi is about the same to you then I'm sure there are more downhome spots to go to. There is a good sake menu and many are available by the carafe. Asahi Extra Dry on tap.
Service was pretty cut & dried. I think they are so used to going 100 mph that they don't even know it feels rushed. I would sit at the bar next time - the sushi chefs seemed more connected with the cusomters than the server and the hostess. The fish was so fresh and so well prepared (the Nigiri does not need soy sauce or much wasabi), that I would go back here despite the curt service.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

My mother and I stopped in on a Friday afternoon and were able to grab a seat inside after a 20-minute wait. We had been traveling all day, but the wait was well worth it! The food was so fresh and simply well done. The atmosphere is cozy and quaint. The service was good, and the restaurant seemed to be very well-managed. We live in the South and it is very hard to find good sushi--we were so pleased to get our fix--a fabulous one at that--while we were in SF.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Glad I took the Michelin Guide's recommendation seriously and visited Saru during my visit to San Francisco last week. Its a tiny restaurant that doesn't take reservations - luckily I was alone, so was able to squeeze onto the bar without much of a wait. Phenomenal lunch experience here. Over ordered, as usual, but glad I did. I had the lunch special, with a spicy tuna roll with tuna, yellowtail, albacore and salmon sushi. Didn't like the spicy tuna roll and left it pretty much untouched. The nigiri was excellent - especially the albacore. The highlights came in the a la carte orders I made. Hamachi Truffle - yellowtail, garlic chips and truffle oil, Chu Toro - medium fatty tuna, Hamachi belly, Uni - sea urchin, Zuwai Kani - wild crab with crab butter, A5 Wagyu Sushi, Zuke bin toro - soy sauce cured albacore. All exceptional. Would highly recommend. 5 stars.

2  Thank Dubaiguy11
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Tiny little sushi bar in Noe Valley on a block with a great family vibe. There are only 8 seats at the bar and about 6 little tables, so plan to get there early, or wait it out. We asked the chef/owner to serve us Omakase and surprise us. Each of the 12 cuts of sushi were vastly different in texture and flavor. Far and away the best sushi experience I have had in any city in the US. We stood in line on a Sunday evening from 5:00 until they opened at 5:30 and got the last seats at the bar. This was so worth the cab ride in/back from the Fairmont!

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Exelente Japanese food and nice place, space is small but cozy, food is excellent with my wife went to this place for the first time and we really enjoyed the rolls and the sake and everything was delicious