“Chinatown Walking Tour”

and up
San Francisco Chinatown Walking Tour with Optional Lunch
Ranked #55 of 298 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This walking tour of Chinatown is now in its 34th year. Join us as we visit historic landmarks, fortune cookie factory, the Stockton Street food markets, a secluded Chinese temple, an herbal pharmacy and more. Complete the visit with a dim sum luncheon at one of Chinatown's legendary restaurants.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I pre-booked this tour from the UK for my wife and I as Chinatown was something we really wanted to experience and Linda gave us a tour that exceeded our expectations. The reviews are good but really don't do justice to her tour. We went on the tour with 4 others so it felt very personal and friendly and Linda made everyone feel at ease thoughout. We went on the same tour as Janie H - see her review below. Linda knew so much about Chinatown having grown up there and she took us to places that we certainly wouldn't have got to ourselves. Her narrative really helped position the importance of the Chinese in establishing San Francisco and helped knit together what we already had found out about San Francisco from other places. We all stayed for the dim sum luncheon which everyone enjoyed. The day we toured was a nice day weather wise but I'm sure that even on the dullest of days Linda would bring cheer to her troupe. By the way the fortune cookies are fantastic and the Chinese medicine (as recommended by the SFFD) really works. Thanks again for a great tour.

3  Thank Kevin F
Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear KevinF:

Thank you for your positive review about your tour experience with me. We also enjoyed sharing our stories of travel and people at lunch. What I'm really exciting about is that the Po Tung Yau medicine worked for you! Will you consider calling me Dr. Lee from now on?Warm regards to you and Susan.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

My husband and I booked a walking tour with Linda of All About Chinatown tours. Not only was she organized, prompt and very knowledgeable but she had such a fun personality. We were visiting San Francisco on a cruise for two days and were not happy with the options offered by the cruise line for shore excursions. We didn't take the lunch portion but we did take her advice on where to shop after the tour. We have been to San Francisco several times but never had toured Chinatown with someone that had lived there and it really was very interesting to hear about the history, how people live etc. You won't be disappointed with choosing this tour.

Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear CMBarbie:

I'm glad to have been a part of your memories of visiting California with your cruise and alternate shore excursions. At the end of the tour, I give my guests a handout of places to shop and eat which I update yearly. Lastly, I've been doing these tours for 34 years.
I've got so many stories of what it was like to have born and raised in Chinatown.
Thank you for your positive review!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This tour exceeded my every expectation. Linda provided interesting and relevant information about Chinatown's origin and history, and also included her perspective on having been born and raised there. I especially appreciated hearing about her Chinese schooling. It was fascinating! The tour was perfectly paced and fun. I also highly recommend participating in the dim sum lunch. The dishes were attractive, plentiful and delicious, and it was so enjoyable to sit down with Linda and our fellow tour members for conversation and this beautiful meal. I began the tour with a cursory interest in China but after spending this time with Linda, added the country to my list of travel. The tour was THAT good! Thank you, Linda for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear Janie H:

Thank you so much for this positive review.
While you learned about the history of the Chinese in America, I learned about communication skills through your expertise. I will make sure that when I give tours, I will read body language as well as answering questions to ensure that my guests are always engaged.
I hope your sister enjoyed the tour as well.
Warm regards,
Linda

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Linda's tour was a great way to not just walk around San Francisco's Chinatown but get a no-nonsense (and often very funny) Chinese view on practical things such as food, language, medicine, religion, education and the cost of living! She handled a range of adults and children on the tour really well and obviously knows her stuff not just for the local area but as someone who is very experienced in working with visitors. We chose the optional lunch and it was very good, including optional chicken feet.