“Exceptional Food in an Intimate Setting”
Review of Allegro Romano

Allegro Romano
Reserve with OpenTable
Allegro Romano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #544 of 5,981 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Reviewed 12 August 2017

A group of us recently had dinner at Allegro Romano and I'm thrilled we did! Their food is authentic and delicious, the location (in Russian Hill) is very convenient (at least for all of us), and the setting is intimate and comfortable. As a group we sampled nearly half of the menu and we were all impressed. The Beef Carpaccio Steso, Asparagus Parmigiana, and Beet & Buffalo Mozzarella "Caprese Style" were all terrific starters. And the Fettuccine with Wild Boar Bolognese I ordered as my entrée was exceptional. Having tried a bite of nearly all of their desserts, I find it very difficult to choose any one as my favorite. They were all delicious, if a bit too much at the end of our wonderful meal. Our service was a bit rushed (and a tiny bit impatient), but don't let that very minor point discourage you. If you are in the neighborhood and want an authentic Italian dinner, don't miss the opportunity to eat at Allegro Romano!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Located on Russian Hill, this intimate Italian restaurant offers it all. The wine list offers excellent choices of both foreign and domestic wines by the bottle or by the glass.
Start off with either the Caprese or roasted beets with buffalo mozzarella.
The pastas and risotto are excellent, but our favorites are the dover sole and branzino.Top it off with one of their excellent deserts.
Service is attentive without being oppressive.
We have been coming to San Francisco for over 20 years, but just discovered this gem three years ago, and have been coming every year since.
Because of the small size, reservations are a must.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

We recently visited our favorite neighborhood restaurant , Allegro Romano.
As usual, we loved the Italian dishes starting with excellent first courses followed
by truffle risotto and truffle fettuccine. Both were delicious!
Our grandchildren were delighted with the meatballs and pasta. As great as the meal was, what inspired me to write this review was the exceptional service, particularly the special attention by Lorenzo. He was very helpful with
Our grandchildren and made us feel at home. You must experience this restaurant. We will return again asap

1  Thank 22lucky7
Reviewed 23 May 2017

This is my new favorite restaurant. It DOES remind my of my last visit to Rome! It was everything I wanted for my birthday dinner. Relaxed, friendly, hospitable and of course, delicious. I felt welcomed and well looked after. We had a tasting menu with recommended wines and I enjoyed every bite and sip. I look forward to returning and working my way through the menu.

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

The service: Very rude and impersonal. We had a reservation at 6:30pm which the owner/manager (?) said we had emailed and moved earlier to 6pm, which we did not. He told us a big private event was booked later in the evening and he kept saying "I'm sorry" in a dismissive way, but we needed to eat and we had a reservation so I said we were going to stay. He said we needed to "be gone by 7:45 otherwise the other customers will br upset." Clearly our business party was not as important as this alleged reservation. We were seated. He told our waitress nice and loudly, "When the other party comes, tell them I want to speak to them." Even the table next to us was sympathetic to the treatment we were receiving. The waitress rattled off the specials very quickly, though in a kinder tone, but my coworkers commented about her rushed delivery. They brought our wine without the bottle, our food came out fast but no second bite check. The manager was walking around the other tables asking how everything was, even sitting couples and telling them they could sit wherever they wanted, "anything you want," but never came to our table. When we paid out and left he didn't say goodbye, no one said "thank you." It was terrible service and the owner had a terribly defensive personality.

The food:
It was tasty. I had the Squid ink pasta, (the menu on the website is outdated) which had a good balance but it was missing the goat cheese and the sauce seemed out of place. The ravioli was very good. The wine was bland, they have better options by the bottle. The tiramisu was delicious! We were not offered coffee, frankly, due to the poor service, we were surprised we were even offered dessert!

Overall:
Quaint place. I read other reviews and our experience was not unusual. The prices are typical for SF, not outrageous. I'm sure we could have had a much better experience had the owner been more welcoming and less high anxiety. We do not reccomend it and we told our concierge at both hotels as such. Shame.

1  Thank Safady