“Nothing else in the world like the smell of freshly baked bread”

Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #10 of 117 Bakeries in San Francisco
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed 8 April 2015

The aroma of freshly baked bread is heavenly accompanied by a bowl,of clam chowder or a bowl of soup mmmmmmm

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed 8 April 2015

Best sourdough bread I have ever had. There is a restaurant upstairs but we did the cafe both times. You order your food, can walk around their cute store while you wait, then you pick up your food and find a table. We tried the soup, side salad, half sandwiches, tacos and pizza. All the items were very tasty. My only complaint would be since there are no refills on beverages, the person tapping should make sure to top off the drinks after the foam goes down.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

So this is a must visit when you're at the Wharf... Fabulous sour breads and outstanding tomato soup (don't forget to get it in the soup bread bowl)... do the 20 minute bread making tour...

Reviewed 3 April 2015

Looking for a tour of a notorious Sourdough Bread company while catching a meal? Then this is your place. If you eat here and present your receipt to the bread bakery tour upstairs you get a free tour (usually $3.00 per). I must admit, the food is mediocre and my last experience here, they ran out of everything due to a marathon that was in town(maybe things are in order now) , but our food options were limited. The bread is okay, but if you are looking for a beautiful view while eating or catching a drink, then this place again is worth stopping in for. Did I mention happy hour!! They offer a pretty good drinks happy hour upstairs with a little view of the Bay. Great deals raining form $4.00 craft and local beers to $5.00 wine and sparkling wine. They even include a basket of their famous Boudin Bread! I would suggest coming here for a quick drink stop in, try their sampler sourdough at the bar, maybe do the tour, then eat next door at Francisco's.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

We wanted a little wine and rest during our day of walking on the wharf, and I love dining from balconies....so to Boudin's we went. Great people watching...you can see the bay, but basically the balcony is over a parking lot adjacent to the boardwalk.

We learned the balcony is for dining only, so we decided to have soup in bread bowls with our wine.

Service a little spotty..we figured out we were in no-waiter-land after two tables were seated and served and had to ask for a waiter. Service was consistent once started.

The bread is indeed very good. You get a lot of bread. Not nearly enough butter to go with the bread (yes, we are from the Midwest) and asked our waiter for more. The soups were good (clam chowder for him, crab/corn for me), yet I've found others that were better. Wine selection fairly decent. We were, after all, in a bread company.

I'd come back and sit at the bar (we learned about happy hour as we were leaving; it appeared lively and a cool place for a bread company).

You can watch bread being made from the sidewalk--there is a wall of windows *and* one of the breadmakers has a mike so you can ask questions. It looked like they took requests for animal shapes.

Maybe my rating would be higher if I looked at Boudin's as a destination and not just a place to dine.

Overall a solid experience.